- Name: Caleb Mills
- Position: DB
- College: New Mexico State University
- Height: 6’4″
- Weight: 217 lbs
- Twitter: @DaRecipeTwelve
- Instagram: @CalebMillz
What are you looking to achieve as a football player going forward?
- I honestly want to be great. I must continue to build and learn the ways of this game I love. I’m dedicated to working hard in every aspect on and off the field. I know that’s what it’s going to take considering my senior year was my first time playing on the defensive side of the ball. I know I have a long journey ahead but I also know I have what it takes to accomplish this goal(work ethic, patience, being coachable, etc.) I also have high hopes of being a great help on all special teams coming in as well.
What is your favorite coverage and why?
- Cover 1 playing the deep safety. I feel like have great instincts of where the QB wants to throw the ball. Cover 3 is another favorable coverage. Rather than rolling down on run concepts or playing the middle third. Playing fast around the line of scrimmage and being physical is a strong suit of mine.
What sets you apart from other defensive backs?
- I just feel like my potential is out of the roof! Like I said earlier I haven’t had a chance to develop as a complete defensive back. I had one year and I believe I had a pretty good year without considering that. 75 tackles 2 int 1ff 1fr. I’m a fast learner when it comes to football so the mistakes I made last year will be corrected this year. I’ve also played WR all my life so I believe that my ball skills will set me apart as well; tracking the ball in the air, high pointing the ball or contested catches. Knowing what routes come from certain formations and understanding what the play is trying to accomplish. Also, my frame gives me the ability to play multiple positions including positions on special teams.
What made you decide you wanted to be a football player?
- I decided a long time ago I wanted to play in the NFL. With the wisdom and guidance from the Lord along with my mother’s support and prayers here I am. A couple of steps away from a goal that I set in place as a child. Football is a sport that takes so much preparation, work, blood sweat, and tears just to be able to compete and I’m addicted to the satisfaction it brings after practicing at a high level, playing a game at a high level, playing a season at a high level and I only can imagine how good it feels to play a full career at a high level. I love to put in the work and I love the process. I also appreciate the family it creates and the lifelong friends you pick up along the way.
If there was a billboard with 5 of your traits on it which 5 traits would be up there?
- Hardworking, coachable, determined, team player (leader), loyal and never forget your reason why.
What do you think are the keys to success on the football field?
- Here’s a list of some keys to being successful on the football field. Being able to listen, learn and adapt. Consistency. Knowing how to watch film and apply it to the game. Knowing everyone’s job on the field. (Knowing the playbook) communication. Staying focused throughout the season. Challenging yourself to be perfect. Work hard, be coachable and play fast.
What should we know about Caleb Mills the person?
- I am a Son of God. I love my Mother, she is my everything and my biggest supporter you could even say my best friend. I’m a “Grandmommas boy” I love to just sit and give my grandmother company and help her in any way I can as she has done for me growing up. I am an only child but I treat my cousins as brothers and sisters. If I love you I would give you my last. I’m forever grateful for the people God has placed in my life. I’m a down-to-earth person who will go out of my way to speak to you if you would like to be spoken to. I give out positive and loving energy that I believe everyone in this world deserves. I don’t have any enemies and I wish the best for everyone. I’m just a hard-working, outgoing, appreciative person that’s ape on the field.
What type of energy do you bring onto the football field?
- I give my team my all while I’m on the field, so I hope that they see it and do the same. I’m a high-energy guy that doesn’t do a lot of talking.
How do you handle challenges both in life and on the football field?
- I try my best to keep peace of mind. Examine what needs to get accomplished thoroughly, create a plan, and work hard to get the job done.
What would a team get in a player like you?
- A competitor who’s determined to be great. A versatile player is capable to play in all aspects of the game (offense, defense, special teams). Coachable who can listen and will adapt in any scheme. The high Motor player flies around the field fearlessly. A player with plenty of potential and knowledge of the game of football is also eager to learn more from teammates as well as coaches. A hard-working, honest man.
What are your favorite moments from your football life?
- My favorite memories so far are
- Seeing my mother every game of my senior year in college.
- My first interception against San Diego State.
- Playing WR in Junior College and receiving 1st Team All Conference-Beating our rival South Point my senior year of high school.
If you could hang out with any football player past or present for a day who and why?
- It would have to be Sean Taylor, Cam Chancellor. I like to watch their big hit highlights and open-field tackling. I would like to learn what was their pre-snap thoughts, how they watched film, and witness their work ethic. They are some of the best I watched growing up. Also, they are around my height and weight (6’4 220).