- Name: Tylan (Ty) Shelby
- Position: DE
- College: University of Louisiana at Monroe
- Height: 6’4
- Weight: 260
- Twitter: @tylan1014
- Instagram: @tylan1014
What are you hoping to show scouts at the 2022 Hula Bowl?
- A) I’m versatile, not only on pass rushing, but I have the ability to drop in coverage as well.
If you could donate to one cause in the world, what would it be?
- A) Cancer research. My grandfather is personally fighting this disease and I have other family members and friends battling as well. There are so many types of this disease with each having its on challenges.
Tell our readers one thing that the world may not know about you? (Special Talents)
- A) I enjoy cooking. I watch YouTube and Netflix cooking videos and shows and then try to recreate adding a different spin to it. Other teammates found this out and started asking me to cook them some of my favorites especially my ribs and pork chops.
What is the best advice you have ever received?
- A) Everyday is an opportunity to learn and grow. Each day you wake up is another day God has given you the opportunity to be a better person than you were yesterday. Whether it’s football or life take the chance on yourself.
What is your favorite song to listen to before kickoff?
- A) Scholarships by Drake
If you were an animal, what animal would you be?
- A) I would be a wolf. A wolf leads yet ensures everyone in the pack is accounted for and protected. It’s not always necessary to lead from the front either. I lead when and where it is needed. I refer to it as a gap filler. For me it translates to helping my teammates whether it’s staying with them and reviewing the playbook, answering questions or simply caring for them.
Overcoming adversity is what defines character, what was the hardest moment in your life to overcome?
- A) The hardest moment of my life is a coach telling me that I earned a starting position yet they were not going to allow me to start. In that moment as much as I wanted to start and knew I earned it I humbled myself and learned that sometimes there are bigger things at play like team chemistry. I had to overcome self-interest for the better development of the team.
If you could compare your play to one player in the NFL who would it be?
- A) Joey Bosa a strong physical player that can play the run well but as well as getting after the Quarterback. We also have a similar move we both enjoy.
Did you have a favorite player or team in the NFL when you were growing up?
- A) My favorite player is JJ Watt based on his work ethic alone. He has consistently been one of the guys that show up the earliest and stay the latest. He’s critical of himself and always has the mindset of self improvement. He enjoys developing his game even further.
If you could have dinner with three people dead or alive, who would it be and why?
- A) One person I would absolutely love to have dinner with is Shaq. An absolutely great business man that has opened avenues for himself in different ways. He has created multiple business opportunities that will create generational wealth for his family in the long run. Of course his offspring need 2 degrees to touch his cheese.
- I would be remiss if I leave off Kobe Bryant. His mindset approaching games and how he wanted to superset himself in his career by being the best by the way he practiced, watched film, as well as being a leader.
- Third but not last would be Luke Kuechly because of the way he studied the game. Able to put himself and his team in a better position by being able to analyze the play and determine which way the play was going majority of the time. I want to learn his study habits which I envision would be make me a better player.