- Name: Matthew Gotel
- Position: DL
- College: University of West Florida
- Height: 6’3″
- Weight: 330 lbs
- Instagram: @youngg_simbbaa
1.If you could hang out with any football player past or present for a day who and why?
- 100% Ray Lewis because his knowledge of the sport of football and life would be valuable to have.
2.What are your favorite moments from your football life?
- First I’d say winning a national championship in 2019 was an unreal feeling and secondly, I’d say making it out of JUCO and getting a scholarship to play at West Florida was also a great moment in my football life.
3.What sets you apart from other defensive linemen?
- My versatility when it comes to being able to transition from run stopping to pass rushing.
4.What should we know about Matthew Gotel the person?
- I’m very family-oriented and I’ll do anything for my blood. I take pride in my work ethic and I’m passionate about everything I do.
5.What type of energy do you bring onto the football field?
- I bring dominant energy to the field. When I step on the field everyone knows business is going to get taken care of.
6.What made you decide you wanted to be a football player?
- As a kid I was always around the game of football and growing up I was often around Zach Banner who is a tackle for the Steelers right now and seeing his success as a little kid gave me the motivation to become a football player.
7.What are your favorite things about playing football for West Florida?
- The positive environment that the coaches and players create is second to none and the brotherhood that we’ve built over a couple of years is incredible.
8.What is your typical training routine?
- I tend to focus on mobility and speed training the most when I’m training. For example, if I’m I’m squatting I’m not just squatting to get strong, I’m squatting to become more explosive so all my reps will be focused on how fast I can move the weight and not on how much I’m doing. And after the workout, I would go through some hip mobility exercises along with anything else I feel I need to improve on.
9.What are you looking forward to in the rest of your season?
- I’m looking forward to enjoying every game I have left. Time is flying by my senior season so I’m just looking forward to playing great football with my teammates.
10.What would a team get in a player like you?
- They would get a player that is coachable and willing to do anything for the benefit of the team. Overall they would be getting a competitor.
11.What do you love about the game of football?
- Over time my answer has changed because at first, it was because I love to hit people and win, and that’s still true but as I’ve matured I’ve realized that I like to see people come together and work as a unit and execute because Monday-Friday that’s all we’re working towards.
12.How do you handle challenges both in life and on the football field?
- I call on god every time.0