- Name: Shaun Wade
- Position: Cornerback
- College: The Ohio State University
- Height: 6’1
- Weight: 198
- Twitter: @shaunwade24
Right now, people are not sleeping on you, why do you feel they are down on you?
- I think people are basing their opinions on the 2020 season. It was a down year for me, there were things I could have been better at. I cannot worry about people’s opinions, I just know I have to perform better. I know I can play better, so I have to focus on that.
What is one thing that NFL fans should know about you?
- I am easy to approach, I know people think you are a celebrity, but I would never push a person away because I am an NFL player. I will still talk to everybody.
You were considered a first round pick last year if you would have come out in the draft, do you feel it was a mistake to return?
- No mistake, It is all in God’s hands.
Why did you pick the number 24?
- I picked 24 because one of my friends in high school was killed. I chose the number to represent him, my family, and the city of Jacksonville. So it was an honor every time I put on the jersey.
Who was your childhood hero?
- I would have to say my Parents were my childhood heroes, but if I had to pick a person outside my family I would consider Isaiah Ford a role model of mine and hero of mine. He changed my life, he did a lot for me while I was in high school.
Your Father proudly served the United States Military, They are courageous what is the most courageous thing you have done in your life?
- The most courageous thing I have ever done was kill a snake for my Mom, when my Dad was overseas. I had to kill the snake!
Who is the most underrated teammate in your locker room at your school?
- The most underrated player is Justin Hilliard. He brings a lot of emotion to the team, he is very hard worker and he would be my first option.
What is your biggest pet peeve?
- I really do not have one, I try to not let things aggravate me.
There are some very good football players to come out of Duval County, Who do you think is the best player ever from Jacksonville?
- I was just watching his film the other day. Brian Dawkins, for the Eagles. He was a Pro Bowler and Hall of Famer.
Overcoming adversity is what defines character, what was the hardest moment in your life to overcome?
- I would say this season. I was injured, deciding to return to school, the COVID pandemic, and still never being 100 percent healthy. That was quite bit of adversity to overcome.
Tell me something about your school and why it is so special to you?
- Ohio State is very unique place. The Alumni are great, I have met a lot of amazing people, and friends throughout this process.
What do you have to say about the critics saying you cannot play outside corner?
- Most of the critics never played football, and most of them didn’t even play outside sports.
What is your favorite snack food?
- Goldfish, have to be Xtra Cheddar too
You do a lot off the field, charities and even raised money at your pro day, could we see Shaun Wade win the Walter Payton Man of the Year Award in the NFL?
- You could! It can happen. Although it is not in my hands, because those votes are come from others, but it would be an honor to win such a prestigious award.
If you could donate to one cause in the world, what would it be?
- Single parents – I would definitely donate to help single parents. Many of my friends had to experience growing up with single parents, and I am working on creating a non-profit called One Village. Because I truly believe you cannot do anything without an entire village helping.
The NFL Draft is quickly approaching, If you could sell yourself in one sentence what would you say?
- I am a hard working guy, that is versatile, and it shows up on film.
If you were to slip to the 2nd or even 3rd round, how upset would you be? Would you have a bigger chip on your shoulder?
- Oh yeah, regardless of where I am drafted I am going to have a huge chip on my shoulder. I did not perform the way I wanted to in 2020, I know the draft is not really in my control. It is a business, but at the end of the day, just know I am going to be ready.
If you could compare your play to one player in the NFL who would it be?
- I do not like comparing myself to one specific player because I like to take intangibles from multiple players, but if I had to pick a player it would be Richard Sherman. I love to watch his film, he is not the fastest player, or the most athletic, but he is smart. He understands the game, and you can tell he is a student of the game.
If you could have dinner with three people dead or alive, who would it be and why?
- My girlfriend has to be one, Allen Iverson he is my favorite athlete, and probably Lebron James. I love what Lebron is doing in the community, and he is a leader on an off the court.