Yesterday, the tampering period opened up for the NFL and there were two teams that did not look back. One of the teams were making educated signings trying to fill needs and back-up needs, while the other team went out in made a splash.
If I was to tell you the two teams that were signing players left and right, you would probably assume the one making the biggest splashes was the Texans. The Texans and Patriots both went nuts yesterday signing everyone, but it was actually the Patriots who spent millions upon millions of dollars.
Let’s break down their signings and give them a grade after the first day.
- Andre Roberts – He is a Pro Bowl return man, the Texans obviously had Special Teams on their mind because their first couple signings were to boost the ST unit.
- Kamu Grugier-Hill – Another key special teams player, who has some experience at the linebacker position.
- Tremon Smith – The speedy return man and nickel corner was a solid signing. He is a super special teams player.
- Maliek Collins – A big defensive tackle who has tons of potential
- Terrence Brooks – The former Patriots safety is super athletic. He can play both ST’s and safety and is fairly cheap
- Justin McCray – If you want to keep Deshaun Watson happy you better add some big guys. McCray is super underrated but a stud.
- Joe Thomas – Former Cowboys linebacker and underrated player. Played well for the Cowboys
- Vincent Taylor – Massive defensive tackle who spent time with the Browns and Bills recently
- Kevin Pierre-Louis – Another special teams player who has experience at the linebacker position
- Chris Moore – A very underrated wide receiver prospect with tons of speed.
Overall I would rate the Texans signings decent and not a homerun. The problem is they still need to make Deshaun Watson happy and they have not accomplished that at this point. I would say that the signings result in a B-.
- Jonnu Smith – The Patriots landed a franchise tight end and boy did they pay for it. Smith is a big time player who will help the Patriots if they decide to throw the ball this year.
- Davon Godchaux – Massive defensive tackle prospect who is only 26 years old. He could be a great signing for the Pats.
- Matt Judon – Another young prospect who has a knack for getting after the QB. They paid a pretty penny but he can get the job done.
- Jalen Mills – I am not sold on this signing, but he is a solid depth signing. For how much they paid he better be a starter.
- Kendrick Bourne – This is one of the best free agent signings from yesterday. Bourne is super underrated and a great route runner.
- Nelson Agholor – Don’t get me wrong he had a solid year in 2020 but an 11 million dollar a year contract? No way in hell I would have paid that.
- Henry Anderson – The Jets former brawling defensive tackle. Anderson is a great signing and has Belichick written all over him.
The Patriots were the biggest spenders in free agency. They overpaid for several of the players in my opinion, but when you are 7-9 you have to do that. Belichick was not happy that Brady won another Super Bowl, so it sounds like he is going to go out with a bang. Tons of money spent, and overall I think they had a B+ free agency on day 1.
Which team do you feel will have the best overall production out of their signings?