By: Justin Kelm
The Lumberjacks of Stephen F. Austin University are commanded by Quarterback Trae Self who is no stranger to making plays. This weekend his play caught eyes of many as he and his Lumberjacks went to war with fellow with a fellow Southland Conference foe.
The Abilene Christian University Wildcats made their way to Globe Life Park. This was a first for college football. Globe Life Park was the home of the Texas Rangers Major League Baseball Team.
The park was converted to a multi-purpose facility with a synthetic grass surface after the 2019 baseball season. A 16-yard touchdown reception by Tight End Chad Aune in overtime lifted SFA to a 35-32 victory. This game was full of intense moments and Self showed his poise as he finished with a career-high 352 yards passing and three touchdowns in the victory, while also adding a touchdown and 22 yards on the ground.
Before coming to Stephen F. Austin, Self put on a show while with the Grizzlies of Butler Community College in Kansas. Self help lead the Grizzlies to a 2018 Midwest Classic Bowl victory by throwing for 133 yards and a touchdown, in addition to rushing for 21 yards and a score. He completed 129 passes for 1,774 yards and 15 touchdowns as a redshirt freshman in 2018, leading the Grizzlies to a 8-4 record on the season.
Self redshirted as a true freshman in 2017. Self has picked up on where he left off in 2019. In his first season at Stephen F. Austin he played in 11 games and accounted for 2,550 yards through the air and an additional 53 on the ground. He was responsible for 14 total touchdowns, 12 passing and two rushing.
Through 6 games in the 2020 season, the ‘Jacks sit at 3-3. Self has completed 100 of 168 passing attempts for 1,341 yards and 9 TD’s. He’s also had 166 rushing yards on 41 attempts and found the end zone twice by ground. Self is a leader who will continue to prove himself and flourish under Head Coach Colby Carthel.
Self and his ‘Jacks will host the Mountaineers of Western Colorado University on Saturday, October 31 at Homer Bryce Field. The Mountaineers are a Division II program and will make their way to Nacogdoches, Texas and battle at 2 P.M. CT.
Follow Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
NFL Draft Diamonds
- ICYMI:South Carolina High School Football Player Mikell McKelvey was shot and killed on Thanksgiving Day… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 15 mins ago
- NFL Heads hand out their Pro Bowl Votes, Josh Allen and Big Ben both snubbed? nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/12/pro-bo… #NFL… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 24 mins ago
- ICYMI:Draft buzz: Catching up with Miami Hurricanes WR Xavier Restrepo nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/12/xavier… #NFL #NFLDraftNews https://t.co/4XXhaZ0Jul
about 29 mins ago
- ICYMI:Three offseason trades the Philadelphia Eagles, front office should consider nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/12/eagles… #NFL… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 32 mins ago
- ICYMI:Draft Buzz: Catching up with Coastal Carolina CB D’Jordan Strong nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/12/djorda… #NFL #NFLDraftNews https://t.co/Wg7VwMydpw
about 33 mins ago