Former University of Wyoming football player who was signed by the New Orleans Saints asked a judge for a new trial after pleading no contest to sexual battery and unlawful touching.
Carl Granderson’s attorney told a judge that Granderson wants to withdraw his plea. He has also asked to have his six-month jail sentence overturned, as well. Granderson was signed by the New Orleans Saints but recently was placed on the did not report to camp list.
The grounds for Granderson’s challenge have not been made public, according to the News Observer, but some court documents in the case were filed under seal.
According to the News Observer’s report:
Granderson was originally charged with third-degree sexual assault, which can carry a prison term of up to 10 years. In a deal with prosecutors, he pleaded no contest to lesser charges, and prosecutors recommended a sentence of one year of unsupervised probation.
Judge Tori Kricken rejected the sentence and imposed the jail term during a July 11 hearing.
After listening to emotional testimony from two students who said Granderson molested them as they slept at his apartment, the judge said Granderson’s actions demonstrated “very little sense of responsibility.”
This is a very wild report, and the period of incarceration signals he will miss training camp, preseason games and the regular season.
The Saints placed Granderson on the reserve/did not report list, and they apparently haven’t closed the door on taking a closer look at him when the jail sentence is completed.
Follow Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
NFL Draft Diamonds
- ICYMI:2021 NFL Draft Prospect: JaQuan Bailey, DL, Iowa State University nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/07/jaquan… #NFL #NFLDraftNews https://t.co/8UVjDZKgx8
about 34 mins ago
- Did You See This:2021 NFL Draft Prospect Interview: Wyatt Gardner, OC, West Liberty University… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 41 mins ago
- Did You See This:2021 NFL Draft Prospect Interview: Shannon Hall, DL, Western Illinois University… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 47 mins ago
- ICYMI:Kansas City Chiefs Fantasy Football Preview nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/07/kansas… #NFL #NFLDraftNews https://t.co/nDA0Y2ApjW
about 55 mins ago
- ICYMI:2021 NFL Draft Prospect: Chase Lucas, CB, Arizona State University nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/07/chase-… #NFL #NFLDraftNews https://t.co/ezbGQxulFO
about 56 mins ago