• Name: Sam Straub
• Height: 6’3
• Weight: 230
• Position: QB
• College: Southern Illinois
• Twitter: @sam_straub4
Tell us about your hometown, and what you love most about it?
• Ames, Iowa. Ames was a great place to grow up, the high school has an incredible sports program built on tradition, with a supportive community behind it. During the warmer seasons, it is a beautiful place to enjoy the weather with friends.
List these three in order of importance and why: Film Study, Strength and Conditioning and Practice?
- Film Study – Most important thing for a quarterback. Film study is everything. Being able to understand and see coverages, tendencies, and 3rd down packages helps enhance decision making during crucial times in games.
- Practice – I think the saying stands correct, how well you practice is how well you will play. I rank this at 2 though because I have practiced poorly and played well.
- Strength and Conditioning – I think that this is different for quarterbacks. Strength and Conditioning are obviously very important but I also think that during a season if you take care of your body the right way that you won’t have any issues with your physical condition.
What do you worry about, and why?
• I try not to worry about things in general. I believe that what’s meant to be, will be and that there is no point in worrying over things you cannot control.
Give me an example of when you failed at something. How did you react and how did you overcome failure?
• I lost position battles both my freshman and sophomore year in fall camp. It was not easy dealing with mentally, but I stuck with it and didn’t quit. Late in my sophomore season, I got a chance to start the last three games. Our team won two out of those three games, I believe all were against ranked opponents. I played extremely well and solidified my starting spot for the next season.
What do your teammates say is your best quality?
- Good question, I never have asked. If I had to guess it would be my intelligence and command on the field. I know that there was a sense of comfort for the guys when I was on the field because they knew they could rely on me to get them where they needed to be to execute at a high level.
Who is the best player you have ever played against in college?
• Carson Wentz- I was wearing a headset
Derek Rivers- Youngstown State, DE
DK Metcalf & AJ Brown- Ole Miss WR’s
What would your career be if you couldn’t play football?
• I am thinking of going into the health and fitness industry or I have always thought coaching would be a good fit.
Room, desk and car – which do you clean first?
• Right now, Car. I am on the move a lot and don’t really have a room or desk to clean.
If there was a disaster and you could either save three strangers or one family member, which would you choose and why?
• My family member. Family is everything.
If you could be any television or movie character, who would you be and why?
- Neo- The Matrix. He is “The One.”
Tell me about your biggest adversity in life and how you’ve dealt with or overcome it?
• Being benched halfway through my senior season. Tried to be the best teammate I could be and still have a positive attitude.
What is your most embarrassing moment?
• Can’t think of one in particular.
What was the most memorable play of your collegiate career?
• 3rd and 7 on the 47-yard line, opening drive against Memphis my junior year. Couldn’t hear a thing because it was so loud. Threw a 47-yard bomb for a TD while getting smacked. The crowd completely silenced.
What song best describes your work ethic?
• Butterfly Effect- Travis Scott
What is the most important trait you can have (Physical or Non-Physical) to help you succeed at the next level?
• Football IQ- spend hours in the film room studying coverages and tendencies. In college, I would help coaches game plan during the week.
If you could bring one person back from the dead for one day, who would it be and why?
• My grandfather. He passed away just a little over a month ago. I would bring him back for the draft this weekend, I wish more than anything he could be there when/if I get a call.
If you were to open a dance club, what would you name it?
Who is the most underrated player in the NFL?
• Julian Edelman
Would you rather be liked or respected, and why?
- Respected. I don’t care to be liked. Life’s not a popularity contest. If you want to be successful though, people normally respect you.
What player who had his career derailed by off-field issues do you feel for the most and why?
• Colin Kaepernick- he did nothing wrong but chose to stand for something he believed in.
Do you love to win, or hate to lose?
• Hate to lose. Nothing is worse than losing
Who has been the biggest influence on your life and explain why?
- My parents. They have helped me with every opportunity I have ever had and have been there for me through every hardship I have ever faced.
Follow Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
NFL Draft Diamonds
- Must see!! twitter.com/bcfhof/status/…
about 25 mins ago
- Top 5 Players to Watch in the NBA Bubble ift.tt/2ZyDCng
about 49 mins ago
- Fantasy Football Busts: Running Backs ift.tt/2Ws2Im2
about 49 mins ago
- This right here would be monstrous. twitter.com/KennRashad/sta…
about 1 hour ago
- Predicting the Utah Jazz’s Regular Season ift.tt/2DIu8NS
about 2 hours ago