2019 HBCU Spirit Of America Bowl Scout Recap by: Matt Anzio
Game Played Saturday Jan 19, 2019
- LB – Pat Green : 6’2 235 lbs – Was named Defensive MVP for the day & he was getting pressure constantly all day had 3 sacks, 5 tackles & a TD catch on Offense. Green and that pride D had a fantastic day. Played both linebacker & DE seemed unblockable on both. Long arms good timing getting in pass lanes or behind the line. Maybe the best get off of every linebacker at the event. The coaches made terrific use of his physical & technical skillset getting him involved all around. He showed the type of game changer he is. Do believe it’s not the last we have heard from Pat Green.
- QB – Glen Cuiellette, Texas Southern, 6’ 227 lbs : Was named the Offensive MVP had a pass TD in the first half to WR Searcy, Georgia Tech . Had nice ball placement putting the ball out in front of Searcy. The wide out laid out to come up with the opening TD uncontested. In the second half Collette had a strong pass TD to Kyle Hill early in the 3rd QT. Collette showed a strong accurate with pocket pressace. As his mobility was on display but only scrambles if necessary is first & foremost a passer that can happen to run. QB is not the deepest group this draft so it would not surprise me to see him in a NFL or CFL camp.
- WR – Kyle Hill : Saint Anselm, 5’9 185 lbs – A prospect i reported on before the National Bowl where he had a TD. At the HBCU Bowl last Sat he again a nice TD early in the 3rd. Although a smaller wide out he has shown the ability time & time again to make the tough grabs. Has 4.34 speed can jump 38” vertical, understands routes & is a threat as a returner. Hill might be one if the 1 % that find their way one a NFL camp otr practice roster this spring.
- LB – Brenton Allen – Pace 6’1 230 lbs The intense intelligent linebacker i did a report on a couple weeks ago had a nice day with 9 tackles, 2 TFL & 1 sack. Sure he was in close running for the D MVP except Pat Green had the turnover & a TD pass but Allen lead his team with tackles. Was right there with Green & an exceptional Pride D making plays. Also made his presence felt on special teams. He also had a 38 ½ inch Vert at the HBCU combine was a great showing from the hardworking linebacker from Florida. Advice Scouts to please check out my report on Draft Diamonds. There is a lot of info in the report for scouts. An exceptional player & person would be honored to give him a reference anytime.
- DL – Terrence Grimsley: Langston University – 6’ 250 lbs Can add some mass to be a stout D line or 34 OLB prospect had a fantastic day enforcing his will behind the line of scrimmage making some impressive plays. Shows good athleticism for a 250 pound man. Another prospect i think could sneak onto one of these Pro or Semi Pro rosters. Think he has the frame to hold another 25 to 30 lbs of muscle. If done the right way with a good strength & conditioning could be a versatile D lineman because of his unique frame leverage with vigorous evasive pass rush / run stuffing attributes.
- OL – Caleb Riggleman , – Marietta, All Div 3 Football Player the last 3 seasons. Started an amazing 35 games in his career. Strong good body frame knows how to use his heavy hands & body weight to keep pass rushers in their place. Shows nice push in run blocking schemes opening large holes for his RB’s. Interesting prospect that very well could be a guy more than one league could be looking at. Had 124 knockdown blocks this season, lead his team.
- RB – Bryson Allen, Delaware State, 5’ 6 175 lbs – Quick back showed explosiveness ability to run &
catch compactshift back that is hard to locate & tackle. Dynamic Sproles, Tarik Cohen type small back with shiftiness & dangerous acceleration. A AllMEAC for both running back & kick return .There wasa plethora of small dynamic backs at the game but Allen stood out. Breaking off some big runs, catching some short passes & on special teams.
- LB – Joe Stoneman, West Virginia State 6-1 240 lbs : Should of just put all the linebackers for the Pride along with Green & Allen, Stoneman was wreaking havoc all day on the brave D. He did the same all year with 112 tackles, 11. 5 TFL, 9.5 sacks & 1 INT this past season. Was listed at 220 lbs last season he put on the bulk at 240 but still maintained his burst & movement skills. What a tremendous group of linebackers the HBCU put together for this game.
Other guys that deserve a mention: Pride Squad
- DB – Malik Warner, Wagner, 6’2 195 lbs : One of the highest regarded prospects at the event. Can/ did play both corner & safety. Only gave up a short play all day play against X wide outs & was in on many tackles from what i could see. Was asked to cover some of the Braves best wide outs. Already knew he was a tough zone DB but he impressed me in man situations. Blanketing WR’s using the sideline to make them run out of real estate.
- LB – Michael Kwegyir-Attah, Norfolk State 6’1 240 Workhorse Linebacker that was in attack mode all day & some say all Can’t say this enough was very impressed with both linebacker groups & the hybrid DL/ LB guys. He had a bunch of tackles watching him on good sideline coverage. Played hard all day with good passion seems to understand the game very well. Not sure of his final stat line but he jumped out to me. Looked good laterally in coverage short intermediate area. Good knee bend solid hip turn strong physical tackler. Always around the ball looking to make a play . Can tell he is a good locker room guy that bring energy to a clubhouse.
- DL – Deshaywn Middleton, 6’ 2 305 lbs Norfolk State : Another member of a highly talented Pride Defense. He was making his presence felt on both pass downs & made a good amount of tackles in the run game. Uses his big frame well leaning in dropping his weight on blockers. Nice snatch & pull Has that sudden short area burst helped a D lacking D line depth played a lot don’t slow down kept going hard throughout the day. Spent 2 seasons on N.c. State before he transferred his Junior year.
- RB – Qua Searcy – Georgia Tech, 5 ‘11 190 lbs Georgia Tech : Shows quickness versatility a guy you can tell they wanted to get involved from the jump. Had a nice TD in the first where he beat his man in the middle of the endzone went back & snatched it out the air. Searcy is an exciting player with quick feet elusiveness break away speed . Think some scouts have already taken notice. Don’t sleep on Searcy.
- Kicker – Christopher Vasquez , Lynchburg V.A. : Strong legged kicker i have seen at a couple All Star events this draft season. Not an expert on kickers but can tell you he has a big leg with an official 68 yd kick on record. He hit a much easier kick in the game but he is certainly worth bringing into camp to add depth or competition. Kickers are needed, if Chris can prove to be clutch good things could happen for Vasquez.
- RB- Moses Harris, Castleton , Castleton, 6’1 217: Although not what the talented big back was hoping for. He did show up on several occasions, runs up the middle or swinging out gained positive yards. Even carrying the pile on a strong first down run. Can read my full report just released here.
- TE – Antonio Clark- Suny Maritime, 6’1 260: Although didn’t do much in the game believe he could be used as an H back candidate unique frame. Not Tight end size but could be an ideal H back or Full back if needed has a tough frame to block.
- DB – Malik Brown, Henderson State – 6’1 195 lbs: Was only targeted once did a nice job in coverage also had 5 tackles. Just missed in the 2nd half cause a pass defection. The speedy shifty DB is also a weapon in the return game but they away from Brown. Talented young has been through and is a real inspiration. He was a transfer due to a horrible car accident where he lost a close friend. He really has worked hard since the transfer & believe that he will play somewhere at the next level. Had 66 tackles 7 PBU & 4 INT this past season
- LB – Anthony Patrick, Bethel U 6’1 235 lbs : Seen him make several nice plays combined with fellow backer John Lauretti on a nice sack late in the 2ndt qt. Patrick is tough hard nose technically sound linebacker. I did a report on him before his Senior season even started. He is the type of linebacker teams are looking for stays square. Can turn & run without hesitation always attacking the ball. Intelligent player can be used to cover backs or tight ends. Patrick is one of my favorite cause he has the determination scouts & coaches alike look for to fill out rosters in spring.
- DE/ OLB – Jimmy Thomas, 6,1 245 lbs John Carroll – Tough quick hand movement off the edge good lean & balance. Change of direction is above average for a guy of his stature. Had around 5 tackles many QB hurries. Was highly active all day can tell the type of energy he brings to the ball field. Nice stance bend or burst uses his quick hands to shed blocks get under or over blocks. A First Team All Region & 2nd Team All Conference player. Lead his conference in sacks this past season & 2nd All Time for sacks for JCU.
- OC/OG – Eric Livingstone 6’2 305 Center/ Guard candidate that can snap good push on run blocking holds his ground keeps a good pocket in pass blocking. Plays thru the whistle the athletic as well as hand fighting talent needed to play Center
.Snapsthe ball pretty well from what i’veseen.
- WR – Jesse
Santiago :Emory & Henry, 6’ 3 220 lbs 796 yds & 6 TD’s this season. Although the O of the Brave got shut out Santiago showed a couple nice grabs including a toe tapperon the sideline. Good ball & body control Could be a fantastic possession Wideout forsome organization.
- LB John Lauretti 6’1 217 lbs, Alfred State: Was involved in a sack, several tackles, and was a player that also jumped off the film to me. High motor layer that like many of his Pride teammates proved to be versatile. Although he played DE in college as a Pro he would fit much better as a linebacker. In 2017 played in 10 games had 87 tackles with an impressive 8 sacks . As a Senior had 70 tackles 17 TFL & 8.5 sacks. Career 266 tackles 61 TFL & 25 sacks.
Other players worth a mention !!!! Brave Squad
- DB – Antonio Dawkins, Bluefield 5’9 185
lbs :Only targeted once all day .Was asked to play CB & Safety. Prospect ifeatured on draft diamonds early before the season runs in the 4.3 range. Tough 5’ 9 DB that flies all over the place .Good range speed exceptional tackler / hitter.
- Punter – Dalton Hall, Tuskegee : Had a couple nice punts & seen him do well at other All Star events over the last couple months. I featured him back in Aug or Sept. Interesting fact is Dalton is a punter and kicker. He punts with his left foot and kicks with his right, very cool note!
- QB – Vinny
Esposito ,Albany, 6’3 220 lbs :Had a couple mistakes but showed he can move around out there & has a very strong arm .Hewas a team captain & currently ranks 2nd All timein Albany’s passing yards with 3,744 tied for 2nd All timewith 25 TD’s. Possess the necessary tools to suceedat a next level whether NFL, CFL or XFL believe me someone will find a home for a 6-3 athletic QB with good arm power. Lack of talent at the QB position will make Esposito get a shot this coming season somewhere in some league. ,AAF
- DB – Tavares Johnson : Alcorn State, 6’ 2 198
lbs :Played QB & WR in college this game was his first time suiting up as a DB. Noticed him out there good back pedalmoves well for a big DB. Had a nice Pass defection in the 3rd qt. Looked pretty good& shows his willingness to do whatever it takes to get an opportunity. Have to love the tenacity determination of a player like that. Won 3 SWAC Championships.
- DB – Brandon Brice : Harding, 6’1 198 good coverage didn’t here his name which is sometimes a good thing in coverage. Also a hard worker on special teams that can make an impact there. Had 2 tackles in the game itself.
I spoke to a few NFL teams that said one player really shined.
Jonathan Istache Duquesne CB. He showed a lot of aggressiveness in one on ones, and turned scouts heads. During team scrimmage he had at least 2 picks and basically locked up his side of the field.
Follow Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
NFL Draft Diamonds
- NFL Transactions for May 14, 2021 | Free Agent Signings, Workouts and Roster Cuts nfldraftdiamonds.com/2021/05/transa… #NFL… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 26 mins ago
- Bills have QB Zach Smith, DL Nazair Jones, DL Eddie Vanderdoes, LB Joe Giles-Harris and WR Isaiah Ford in for their mini camp
about 28 mins ago
- Bills have Isaiah Ford in for their mini camp
about 29 mins ago
- This year two @NAIA football players were signed to the NFL! Alex Hoffman the OT from Carroll College and Donte Syl… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 30 mins ago
- Oh you just had to go there twitter.com/kfasehun74/sta…
about 32 mins ago
By Craig Forrestal In this episode, we get to know Akayleb Evans. Together we...
By: Josh Shippen 33. Jacksonville Jaguars – Trevon Moehrig, S, TCU 34. New York...
Podcast Description: Beyond The Negotiation hosted by NFL Agents Sam Tiger and Hygens Succes takes listeners on...
In this episode we talk about Dillon Gabriel‘s performance under the new offensive scheme...