- NFL Draft Diamonds Scouting Report: Shane Gaines, DB, Salisbury by Matt Anzio
- Player: Shane Gaines
- Position: DB/ Safety
- School: Salisbury
- Height: 5’7
- Weight: 187 lbs
- Draft Class: 2019
- Projected Forty: 4.48
- Projected Round: UDFA
- Hometown: Baltimore, MD
- Jersey Number: 1
Stats & Awards
- Career 190 tackles, 4 TFL, 8 INT & 27 PBU
- 2018: 39 tackles, 1 TFL ,3 INT & 6 PBU
- 2018 Preseason FAF All American ( Coaches & Media)
- 2018: Accepted invite to D1 FCS Scout Bowl
- 2018 : Invited to the Podyum All Star Game Miami
- 2 tackles & 3 PBU vs Rowan
- 3 tackles 2 PBY vs Wesley
- 2017: 47 tackles, 2 INT & 7 PBU
- 7 tackles & 3 PBU vs Albright
- 12 tackles, 2 PBU vs Frostburg
- 2016 47 tackles, 1 TFL, 2 INT & 6 PBU
- 2015: 62 tackles, 2 TFL, 3 INT’s & 6 PBU
- NJAC/ECAC Rookie of the Year
- NJAC Rookie of the Week 10/11, 10/25, 11/1, 11/22
Undersized Underdog has Something That Can’t Be Measured.
Straight up bonafide Heart & hardcore determination. Gaines doesn’t believe in the word “Can’t”.
Been told his whole life your too short, too small, try another position you’re a small school guy you don’t have a shot to be a pro. Sure he heard it all some from people meaning well & some from people gunning for his downfall. That’s just how life is if you don’t fit the prototype 6’2 200 lbs you can’t cover these big targets in the NFL. Tell you this I would rather have a smaller DB diving, clawing, fighting giving everything he has then a 6’4 CB that depends only on their God given attributes. Anything is possible when you put your all into something that epitomizes Gaines style of play with the amount of effort he shows every down.
In Pass Coverage: Outstanding at keeping plays/players no matter the size in front of him attacking never allowing them to get behind him with his great zone off coverage technique. Gaines plays the ball very well he has excellent awareness timing in his coverage skills. Recognizes high low combos understands routes & offensive formations. Can cut pass off just by reading the eyes of a QB with furious hand battling? Physical type DB keeps fighting for the ball until the play is dead. Does a nice job getting his head around on long plays does not panic
Against The Run: Very tough tackler for a smaller frame DB shows the velocity needed to be a playmaker against the run or on designed blitzes. Watched him blitz from the safety position a couple times nice acceleration thru holes uses that speed to get in the QB’s line of fire. Good bounce in his feet instincts & ability is there for him to be optimal in run defense. Just need to see more of Gaines against the run but tackling has never been the issue. Powerful legs with strong upper body muscular for his size with a low center of gravity. Area of his game that he just needs more time doing. He told me that is an area he is focused on run press zone schemes as he prepares for any opportunity to continue his career. Gaines has all the tools to be a excellent tackler in the run game.
Follow Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
NFL Draft Diamonds
- ICYMI:2022 NFL Draft Prospect Interview: David Vereen, DB, Newberry College nfldraftdiamonds.com/2021/05/david-… #NFL… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 47 mins ago
- Let's Go I'm starving! twitter.com/paymeinpussy/s…
about 2 hours ago
- NFL Transactions for May 14, 2021 | Free Agent Signings, Workouts and Roster Cuts nfldraftdiamonds.com/2021/05/transa… #NFL… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 3 hours ago
- Bills have QB Zach Smith, DL Nazair Jones, DL Eddie Vanderdoes, LB Joe Giles-Harris and WR Isaiah Ford in for their mini camp
about 3 hours ago
- Bills have Isaiah Ford in for their mini camp
about 3 hours ago
By Craig Forrestal In this episode, we get to know Akayleb Evans. Together we...
By: Josh Shippen 33. Jacksonville Jaguars – Trevon Moehrig, S, TCU 34. New York...
Podcast Description: Beyond The Negotiation hosted by NFL Agents Sam Tiger and Hygens Succes takes listeners on...
In this episode we talk about Dillon Gabriel‘s performance under the new offensive scheme...