- Sam McPherson
- Eastern Washington University
- Twitter: @SamMcPherson17
2018 Accolades & Statistics
- 2018 Big Sky Football All-Conference Second Team Offense.
- 174 carries – 1,288 yards – 7.40 YPC – 12 TDs.
What is your name?
- Sam McPherson.
Where do you play College Football?
- Eastern Washington University.
What position do you play?
- Running Back.
What is your height/weight?
- 5’10” 205 lbs.
Did you play any other sports growing up? If so, what were they?
- Baseball and a little bit of basketball.
Who is the toughest player you have competed against in College?
- Peyton Pelluer from Washington State.
Are you listening to music before a game? If so, what?
- Mac Miller, Post Malone, Khalid. I like softer rap that I can chill out to.
Do you have any superstitions before a game? If so, what are they?
- Not really. I like to stay pretty calm and relaxed so nothing out of the ordinary.
Who is your role model & why?
- My father. He is an extremely hardworking and smart person and I strive to be like him in those aspects.
While in College, what has been your favorite & least favorite class?
- Favorite class would be 3D Parametric Design and least favorite was a film class I took freshman year.
What made you choose Eastern Washington University?
- The mechanical engineering program really impressed me, plus I love to win football games so it was really a perfect fit.
Outside of Football, what has been your favorite experience while in College?
- Every year a group of Eastern athletes go on a retreat to grow in our relationship with God. Other athletes from the colleges in the area come too so it’s a great experience to meet other athletes and grow closer to God.
Growing up, who was your favorite NFL Team & NFL player, & why?
- My favorite team was the Seattle Seahawks because it’s my hometown team. My favorite player was LaDainian Tomlinson because he was a very balanced back that could do it all. When his cleats came out, I had to get them back in the day.
If you could be in any movie of your choice, what would it be & what character would you play?
- The Sandlot, Benny the Jet (Mike Vitar).
If you could have dinner with three people, dead or alive, who are they?
- Barry Sanders.
- Will Ferrell.
- My Grandpa.
If you could meet any historical figure, who would you choose & why?
- Albert Einstein. I’d love to pick his brain.
Who is your favorite superhero & why?
- Spider-Man. I used to watch all of the cartoons back in the day.
What is your definition of hard work?
- ATS. And Then Some. There is always someone out there with more talent than you, outworking them gives you a chance to overcome that.
What is the most unexpected lesson you learned while in College?
- The dishes aren’t going to do themselves.
What is something you wish you could go back & tell yourself as a High School Freshman?
- Focus on playing running back a little more. I basically only played safety my first two years of high school.
Why do you wear #20?
- I was a little too young to watch him, but my Dad always talked about Barry Sanders and how amazing he was for the Lions. I used to always watch his highlights when I was younger and wanted to run like he did.
What is the best part of your hometown, Bothell, WA?
- The community. The support that I’ve received throughout my football career has been unbelievable. Everyone is so close and I wouldn’t have wanted to grow up anywhere else.
Who do you choose: Jordan, LeBron, Steph or Kobe? Why?
- LeBron. His athleticism is unmatched and he finds a way to win with hardly any help.
Are you a PS4 or Xbox One guy? What games are you playing right now?
- Xbox One. I get one game every year and its always the latest Madden.
What has been your most memorable moment as a student-athlete?
- Throwing Cooper Kupp’s last collegiate touchdown in the semi-final game.
If you could have three wishes granted, what would they be?
- To win the lottery.
- Have the Mariners win the World Series.
- Play in the NFL.
What is your hidden talent?
- Ping pong.
If there is a book written about Sam McPherson, what is the title?
- “Working to Be the Best.”
What are three things on your “Bucket List?”
- Visit all 30 MLB stadiums.
- Travel to Europe.
- Go to the Super Bowl.
Are you binge watching anything right now?
- Parks and Rec.
If you had one free hour each day, how would you choose to use it?
- I would read the Bible and focus on one aspect of my life to get better at every day.
If you could run over any NFL LB, past or present, who would it be & why?
- Samson Ebukam of the LA Rams. It’d be fun to run over a former teammate.
What are three words to give NFL scouts that define Sam McPherson?
What is your inspiration?
- My family. There’s nothing I like more than seeing them smile and making them proud.
What current/former NFL player do you compare yourself to?
- Dion Lewis. We’re both very balanced backs that can make people miss and aren’t afraid to lower a shoulder.