- Caleb Wells
- Angelo State University/ Grambling State University
- Twitter: WellsCaleb51
What is your name?
- Caleb Wells.
Where do you play College Football?
- I played this year at Angelo State University. Playing formerly at Grambling State University In 2017, I was forced to transfer DII due to my DI clock expiring.
What position do you play?
What is your height/weight?
- 6’5.5″ 240lbs.
Did you play any other sports growing up? If so, what were they?
- Soccer was my first sport growing up. I didn’t start playing football until 4th grade, and eventually started playing basketball my freshman year of high school.
Who is the toughest player you have competed against in College?
- I have two, Trent Scott of the LA Chargers and Brandon Parker of the Oakland Raiders. Scott was my teammate at Grambling where we played against Parker in the Celebration Bowl in 2017.
Are you listening to music before a game? If so, what?
- More than likely I’m listening to Mozzy on game day. He’s definitely one of my favorite artists.
Do you have any superstitions before a game? If so, what are they?
- No superstitions for me. Besides my music, I might watch a few highlight tapes. Some of my favorites are Jared Allen’s 22 sack season in ‘11 and Jason Taylor’s DPOY season in ‘06.
Who is your role model & why?
- I’d say my uncles are my role models. My mother’s brothers Jeff and Mike really raised me with her being a single parent. Another is one of my older cousins Webster. He’s a lot closer to me in age and I really value his insight on things.
You are a Coaching, Recreation & Sport major; what made you pursue that subject?
- I see my self coaching and recruiting at the end of my playing career. I love the junior college level being a juco guy myself, and feel this is where I’ll make the biggest impact.
While in College, what has been your favorite & least favorite class?
- My favorite class was probably Spanish ll to complete my undergrad, I had a lot of fun making videos and uploading them to Youtube. My least favorite class was Pre-Calculus for sure.
What made you choose Angelo State University after transferring from Grambling State?
- I really liked the Lone Star Conference and felt I’d be able to have a productive season playing against those teams. The biggest factor was an opportunity for my family to see me play with Angelo State’s first game of the season being against Western Oregon. The university is only about 1 1/2 hours from my hometown of Portland.
Outside of Football, what has been your favorite experience while in College?
- My greatest experience was just simply going to and graduating from Grambling State University. I wouldn’t trade my HBCU experience for the world.
Growing up, who was your favorite NFL Team & NFL player, & why?
- Growing up I was big Ravens fan. I loved the way they played defense, the way they still do. If I have to say one player, my favorite was Jason Taylor. He wasn’t just a great pass rusher but was a big-time game changer off the edge.
If you could be in any movie of your choice, what would it be & what character would you play?
- I would be Hugh Jackman In Logan. I like the way the wolverine went out.
If you could have dinner with three people, dead or alive, who are they?
- Barack Obama, LeBron James, and Mike Epps.
If you could meet any historical figure, who would you choose & why?
- I would’ve loved to meet Maya Angelou. My mother is a poet, and we’re both fans of her work. Talk about a “Phenomenal Woman.”
Who is your favorite superhero & why?
- Batman is my favorite superhero. He a symbol of hope for his city, but at the same time still human like anyone else.
What is your definition of hard work?
- It’s what nobody sees, what nobody talks about, the grind you put in when outsiders only see the shine.
What is the most unexpected lesson you learned while in College?
- It’s not about how hard you fall, but if you get up.
What is something you wish you could go back & tell yourself as a High School Freshman?
- Go to class.
Why do you wear #84?
- I started the season wearing 55, but the game jersey was way to big, so I decided to make a switch and 84 was one of the first few options.
What is the best part of your hometown, Portland, OR?
- I’d say the food. There so much authentic food there, it’s like a big melting pot of cultures.
Who do you choose: Jordan, LeBron, Steph or Kobe? Why?
- Jordan, all day every day because he’s the GOAT.
Are you a PS4 or Xbox One guy? What games are you playing right now?
- I’m a big PS4 guy. Right now, I’m just playing Madden 19 & 2k19.
What has been your most memorable moment as a student-athlete?
- My most memorable moment was winning the 2017 SWAC Championship over Alcon State in NRG Stadium.
If you could have three wishes granted, what would they be?
- 1. End world hunger
- 2. A mansion with bills paid for the next 100 years
- 3. Super-strength
What is your hidden talent?
- I used to play the drums, it’s been about 6-7 years since I’ve picked up a pair of sticks.
If there is a book written about Caleb Wells, what is the title?
- Road to Zion
What are three things on your “Bucket List?”
- 1. Visit Africa
- 2. Meet Barack Obama
- 3. Learn how to swim
Are you binge watching anything right now?
- I wouldn’t say I’m binge watching it, but I like Troy: Fall of A City on Netflix.
If you had one free hour each day, how would you choose to use it?
- I’d spend it sleeping. One mandatory free hour of sleep sounds good to me.
If you could sack any NFL QB, past or present, who would it be & why?
Tom Brady. He’s the best QB to ever play the game who doesn’t want to sack Brady?
What are three words to give NFL scouts that define Caleb Wells?
Long. Physical. Motor.
What is your inspiration?
My inspiration is my mother. I’ve seen her working hard for so long as a single parent since I was three. I want to be able to retire her.
What current/former NFL player do you compare yourself to?
I’d compare my game somewhere between Arden Key and Carlos Dunlap.