NFL Draft Diamonds Prospect Interview: Jaylen Lowe, QB, Langston University
- Name: Jaylen Lowe
- Height: 6’0
- Weight: 200 lbs
- Position: QB(ATH)
- College: Langston University
- Twitter: @j9rock
Tell us about your hometown, and what you love most about it?
- My hometown is Owasso, Oklahoma. The thing I love most about it is the people there really helped me through hard times like my dad passing away when I was in 5th grade. It feels like one big family.
List these three in order of importance and why: Film Study, Strength and Conditioning and Practice?
- I think strength and conditioning is #1 because you have to prepare your body for the physicality of this sport, if you are hurt you can’t practice, and if you can’t practice you can’t play. #2 I would say the practice is the next important thing. But not just having a good practice every day but a perfect practice so you can be prepared for the game. #3 Watching film is very important, you have to know what the defense is running and notice what coverages they play to certain formations and things like that, especially at the QB position.
What do you worry about, and why?
- The only thing I worry about sometimes is not making it to the next level in football. I worry about this because it has been my dream since I was little and not making it would be a huge disappointment.
Give me an example of when you failed at something. How did you react and how did you overcome failure?
- Something I have failed at is winning a state championship in high school, made it to the semifinals every year and lost. Those failures have taught me to work harder and play even harder than I did in high school to be the best.
What do your teammates say is your best quality?
- Probably my playmaking skills. Whenever we need a spark I tend to come up with a big play. Or my dedication since I’m usually the first one to meetings and practice and never miss anything.
Who is the best player you have ever played against in college?
- The best college player I have played against is the middle linebacker for Northwest Missouri State in 2016 Jacob Vollstedt back when I was at Emporia State.
What would your career be if you couldn’t play football?
- I would definitely be a football or basketball coach.
Room, desk, and car – which do you clean first?
If there was a disaster and you could either save three strangers or one family member, which would you choose and why?
- Well if the family member was my mom I would save her because she saved my life. Other than that I think I would choose to save the three strangers because that’s more lives being saved.
If you could be any television or movie character, who would you be and why?
- I don’t really watch movies or shows like that but I would probably be Will Smith on the fresh prince of bel air because he’s living large at his uncle’s house with a big family (something I’ve always wanted) he’s hilarious, athletic and gets all the girls.
Tell me about your biggest adversity in life and how you’ve dealt with or overcome it?
- The biggest adversity I have ever overcome is my dad passing away when I was little. He was my best friend and coach and we really bonded over sports. Playing has helped me overcome him not being here anymore.
What is your most embarrassing moment?
- My most embarrassing moment is I was attempting to dunk in a game in high school and there was a packed house and I was by myself and the ball slipped out of my hands and hit the bottom of the rim.
What was the most memorable play of your collegiate career?
- My most memorable play actually happened in basketball when I hit a half-court shot at the buzzer in the championship of a tournament we were playing in at my JUCO. In football, my whole senior season has been full of memorable plays but we aren’t done yet!
What song best describes your work ethic?
- Never Been by Logic he basically says chase your dreams no matter what and does whatever it takes.
What is the most important trait you can have (Physical or Non-Physical) to help you succeed at the next level?
- I think consistency if you aren’t consistent you can’t be counted on.
If you could bring one person back from the dead for one day, who would it be and why?
- I would bring back my dad to ask him what I need to do better and if he’s proud of me.
If you were to open a dance club, what would you name it?
- J-Rocks Shop
Who is the most overrated player in the NFL?
- I don’t think anyone in the NFL is overrated because if you make it in the league you did something right. But overhyped. I think Sam Darnold is overhyped.
Would you rather be liked or respected, and why?
- I would rather be respected. Not everyone can like you, but I think everyone can respect you.
What player who had his career derailed by off-field issues do you feel for the most and why?
• No one. Usually, if a player messes up he gets another chance, if you don’t learn from your mistakes then it’s your own fault.
Do you love to win, or hate to lose?
- Both. I play every game like it’s my last losing pisses me off more than anything. Winning is fun but after we win I’m on to the next, trying to win again.
Who has been the biggest influence on your life and explain why?
- My stepmom Farrah Vann. My biological mom passed away when I was 3 my dad remarried my stepmom and when my dad died she took care of me from when I was 11 until now. She saved my life and she’s been through a lot and we made it through it all together.