NFL Draft Diamonds Scouting Report: Antonio Dawkins, DB, Bluefield College by Matt Anzio
- Player: Antonio Dawkins
- Position: Defensive Back
- School: Bluefield College
- Height: 5’ 10
- Weight: 192 lbs.
- Draft class: 2019
- Projected forty: 4.37
- Projected Round: UDFA
- Hometown: Shelby, N.C.
- Jersey Number: 11
- Projected Vertical: 38”
Stats & Awards
- 28 tackles, 10 PBU, 1 INT,3 FR & 1 FF
- Vs Presbyterian in a Nationally televised game had 4 tackles,1 INT, 1 PBU only allowed 12 yds on 2 catches.
- Vs Allen had 3 tackles & 3 PBU only allowed 1 catch on 5 targets for 6 yds.
- Invites to the National Bowl & Podyum All Star thus far
- 28 tackles, 3.5 TFL,7 pass deflection, 1 FF and 1 pick 6. All after transferring from N.C. Central
- Played 8 games only due to injury and totaled 59 tackles, 5 TFL, 15 pass def, 2 FF and 2
Dawkins is a strong DB with impressive timing & coverage skills.
Athletically proven commodity for any secondary he showed at his Junior Pro Day he is strong benching 225 lbs 15 times, can move with an official 4.38 & vertically gifted with a 38” vert at 5’10 that is up there with many DB’s a couple or even few inches taller on average.
Shows the ability to play press coverage well and can blanket targets without drawing penalties. Good at boxing players out on the sideline with no room to make the completions. Very strong technique and fits a man press scheme perfectly. Dawkins timing along with ability to get his hands over, around or straight through wide outs seen him play both on the left & right sides. Does not panic on the big pass plays maintains tight coverage good technique getting his hips & head around. Playing thru the whistle punching the ball out or cutting off a route for an INT or contesting pinpoint throws. Reads the QB’s eyes smart player that plays with savage determination.
As a tackler he is technically sound using both hands to secure tackles has the acceleration to track players down from behind. Hard hitter very strong upper body toughness and power in his tackling is a commodity he possesses. Latterly fluid side to side almost as smooth as his backpedal. Change of direction combined with quick awareness of draws check downs etc. Teams looking for strong tackling DB that can also cover will like what they see with Dawkins.
He knows how to get in the way good at getting pass deflections. Fits well in the slot in a press zone coverage skills. Can cover those fast slot wide outs well. He can play bigger targets with his vertical talent. Safety is a possibility but prob later in his career. Not that he can not play on the outside that will come in handy. Teams looking for guys to play in out and on special teams. Imagine at the National Bowl they will try to use Antonio in a few different ways slot should be one.
Follow Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
NFL Draft Diamonds
- 2021 NFL Draft Prospect: Pat Freiermuth, TE, Penn State University nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/11/pat-fr… #NFL #NFLDraftNews https://t.co/JETqVuv2gF
about 11 mins ago
- Fantasy Football: Week 12 Waiver Wire Report nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/11/waiver… #NFL #NFLDraftNews https://t.co/e1mGomlWsG
about 22 mins ago
- 2021 NFL Draft Prospect: D’Wayne Eskridge, WR/DB, Western Michigan University nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/11/dwayne… #NFL… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 29 mins ago
- Last Chance:Fantasy Doctors: Joe Burrow Injury Update, Could he miss the 2021 NFL season as well?… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 33 mins ago
- 2021 NFL Draft Prospect: Larry Rountree III, RB, University of Missouri nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/11/larry-… #NFL #NFLDraftNews https://t.co/NiYMBhFWvx
about 43 mins ago