NFL Draft Diamonds Scouting Report: Max Scharping, OT, Northern Illinois
- Prospect: Max Scharping
- Position: Offensive Tackle
- School: Northern Illinois
- Height: 6’6
Weight: 320 Lbs
Projected round 5-6
Projected Forty: 5.25
Hometown: Green Bay, Wisconsin
Stats & Awards
- Ranked 4th in the country at OT with a 88.3 rating
- Has started all 6 games at LT as a Senior
Currently ranked #8 OT in Nation by NFLDraft
- Had the nations best pass blocker rating at 99.2
- Played in all 12 games
- Top performer on OL for NIU
- All Mac First Team OL Left Tackle
- Part of line the led FBS in fewest sacks allowed in 2017
- Only allowed 5 QB pressures on 425 snaps
- Played all 12 games at RT as a Freshman
- All Mac First Team
- Part of a OL that blocked for a team with 463.8 yds avg per game
- Part of a pair of OT’s ranked 2nd in the country per PFF
- Avg. of 239.8 rush yd per game as a blocker
Draft Diamond Report
Big Athletic long with all the fundamentals needed to develop into a pro starting OT. Long arms with nice short area quickness bends well with good agility movement skills
Has all the tools at his disposal the height, weight ridiculous movement skills looks almost lean for a 320 pound man. Not many men his size has the athleticism that Max possess. speedy footwork fluid hand movement & placement technique is top notch.
Reliable has started all 39 games of his career with the Huskies since entering the school. Has the experience playing LT that every team is in search of , what is one of the most important positions in all of football. Was an All American at both left & right tackle over the last 3 seasons going on 4. Unbelievable wingspan arm length hand size that he uses well in his passblock game. Is a better pass blocker than run blocker but keeps showing improvement.
Although he plays for a smaller school his level of competition has been quite good, he has consistently performed well blocking some of the best pass rushers in the Nation.
Thought of as a day 3 or late round pick, I believe due to lack of talent at the OT position combined with a very high ceiling could move him into the mid round of the 2019 draft. If he can improve his power, his punch & moving defenders off the ball in the run game very well could be like the OT from N.C. A & T this past draft, Brandon Parker who went from a late round grade to a 4th rd pick this past April. Everything is order for Scharping to make the jump from College to the pro’s. If he can get the right strength coach & workout regimine he could be a top Left tackle coming out of NIU in 2019. He is currently doing boxing training to work on the power of his punch, so he knows where he needs to improve.