NFL Draft Diamonds Scouting Report: George Obinna, LB, Sacramento State by Matt Anzio
- DE/OLB – George Obinna
School- Sacramento State
Weight- 230 lb
Projected 40- 4.65
Projected Rd- UDFA
Hometown- Tracy, Cal
Stats & Awards
2017- All Big Sky First Team
- 23 tackles, 12.5 TFL, 8.5 sacks & 3 FF
- Also has 4 QB hurries
- Opened the season with a bang with 3 TFL & 2 sack v
- 2.5 sacks vs Idaho State
- Tied for the team best in TFL 12.5
- 2nd in sacks on team 8.5
2016 – 31 tackles, 6 TFL, 4.5 sacks
- Started all 8 games
- Had 5 or more tackles in 5 games
- 1.5 sacks vs Cal Poly
- 7 tackles against Montana State
2015- 11 games, 33 tackles 5.5 sacks 7.5 TFL
- Played in 11 games as a true freshman
- 33 tackles 5.5 sacks 7.5 TFL
- Had 8 tackles vs Cal Poly
Sources: Sac State, 24-7 Sports & NCAA Football
Draft Diamonds Report
Outstanding pass rusher with quick sideline to sideline lateral movement.
Uses his hands well with good strong arms upper body power to shed blocks shoot the gap to make big plays on the opposite side of the line.
Can put 20-30 lbs on to become a DE/ edge rusher or can remain around 230-245 & have enough quickness/ agility to stand up to play OLB.
Not the best D in the nation but he has shown the tools needed to be a playmaker or situational pass rusher with consistent results. Numbers like 12.5 TFL, 8.5 sacks & 2 FF show exactly the intense defensive force Obinna can be.
As a DE did not see much in the form of coverage although i see enough quick body movement to suggest he can learn that nuance of the game too.
Can play the run well to shedding blocks with his explosive movements & fierce relentless pursuit of the ball carrier. Recognizes run plays effectively shooting gaps & making strong tackles in the backfield.
He is a pass rush specialist with the right training & team he could carve out a ninch on pass down rushing the QB exploding into pass lanes sacking QBs at a pro level. Should be a fun guy ro watch progress as he makes his living on the other side of the line of scrimmage. Exciting young pass rusher that i am interested to see if he bulks up to become a 43 DE or fits better as a 34 backer. In my personal opinion think he should shoot for about 260 pounds to become a true 43 DE.
Follow Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
NFL Draft Diamonds
- Thursday Thanksgiving NFL DFS ift.tt/363b0WK
about 13 mins ago
- ICYMI:Fantasy Doctors: Teddy Bridgewater Injury Update, Teddy is practicing today… nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/11/teddy-… #NFL… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 23 mins ago
- Did You See This:That Sports Guy’s Week 12 Fantasy Football Rankings nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/11/darren… #NFL #NFLDraftNews https://t.co/RyCCY0YsCC
about 34 mins ago
- ICYMI:Fantasy Doctors: Kyler Murray Injury Report, Can you fire him up this week? nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/11/kyler-… #NFL… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 39 mins ago