NFL Draft Diamonds Interview: Phil Haynes, OL, Wake Forest University
- Phil Haynes
- Wake Forest University
- Twitter: @PhilHaynes95
- 2017 All-ACC Football Team Third Team Offense.
What is your name?
- Phil Haynes.
Where do you play College Football?
- Wake Forest University.
What position do you play?
- Left Guard.
What is your height/weight?
- 6’4″ 310lbs.
Did you play any other sports growing up? If so, what were they?
Who is the toughest player you have competed against in College?
- Dexter Lawrence (DT – Clemson University).
Are you listening to music before a game? If so, what?
- Some type of Alternative, like Imagine Dragons.
Do you have any superstitions before a game? If so, what are they?
- I always pray before every game.
Who is your role model & why?
- My mentor. He has influenced me so much since the age of 11. SO grateful for him.
While in College, what has been your favorite & least favorite class?
- Favorite class – Philosophy of Christianity.
- Least Fav – None, Wake is a great school.
Outside of Football, what has been your favorite experience while in College?
- Joining the family of Wake Forest & meeting the student body.
Growing up, who was your favorite NFL Team & NFL player, & why?
- Steeler Nation, Troy Polamalu. I’ve just always liked the Steelers & how physical they were.
If you could be in any movie of your choice, what would it be & what character would you play?
- Hercules, in Hercules with The Rock.
If you could have dinner with three people, dead or alive, who are they?
- Winston Churchill.
If you could meet any historical figure, who would you choose & why?
- Jesus, because He is important in my life & that would be the most interesting person to meet.
Who is your favorite superhero & why?
- Probably Hulk, because of his pure power & the dichotomy the Hulk & Bruce Banner.
What is your definition of hard work?
- Doing the most, more than what your mind tells you that you can do.
What is the most unexpected lesson you learned while in College?
- How important leadership is & how it is integrated in all areas of life.
What is something you wish you could go back & tell yourself as a High School Freshman?
- Read every day. It’s calming & increases intelligence.
Why do you wear #74?
- I really don’t wear #74 for a reason. I was given it at Wake & I’ve just kept it.
What is the best part of your hometown, Raleigh, NC?
- The sense of community is what I think makes it very special.
Who do you choose, Jordan, LeBron or Kobe? Why?
- I don’t like comparing people outside their era but I’ll go with LeBron because he can do everything and I think he is the best leader out of the group.
Are you a PS4 or Xbox One guy? What games are you playing right now?
- Definitely a PS4 guy but I just sold my PS4. I figured I am getting too old for games.
What has been your most memorable moment as a student-athlete?
- I think showing classmates that student athletes can care for academics as well as heir sport.
If you could have three wishes granted, what would they be?
- To have a great family.
- Health for my Mom.
- A great legacy left after i’m gone.
What is your hidden talent?
- I really do not have any.
If there is a book written about Phil Haynes, what is the title?
- “Oh, How Things Can Change.”
What are three things on your “Bucket List?”
- Create a family and support them.
- Travel different areas of the world.
- Create something that helps others.
Are you binge watching anything on Netflix or Hulu right now?
- I just finished the last season of Last Chance U.
If you had one free hour each day, how would you choose to use it?
- I would read or try to educate myself on personal improvement.
If you could pancake block any NFL DL, past or present, who would it be & why?
- Duke Ejiofor. He is a former teammate and I never got the shot to do it.
What are the goals for 2018, both individually & for the Wake Forest football team?
- Be the best player and leader that I can.
If you could give NFL scouts three words to describe the type of man they are getting in Phil Haynes, what would they be?
What inspires you?
- My family past and future is what make me work so hard. I want to be able to provide for my kids and be there for them no matter what.