NFL Draft Diamonds Prospect Interview: Devlin Hodges, QB, Samford University
- Devlin Hodges
- Samford University
- Twitter: @DevlinHodges10
2017 Accolades & Statistics
- 2017 SoCon Offensive Player of the Year.
- 2017 First Team All-SoCon – 2017 Third Team All-American.
- 347-528 – 3,983 yards – 65.72% – 11.48 YPC – 31 TDs.
What is your name?
- Devlin Hodges.
Where do you play College Football?
- Samford University.
What position do you play?
What is your height/weight?
- 6’1″ 205lbs.
Did you play any other sports growing up? If so, what were they?
- Baseball, Basketball, Track and Field, Hockey.
Are you listening to music before a game? If so, what?
- Just whatever i am feeling. I listen to a lot of Eric Church.
Do you have any superstitions before a game? If so, what are they?
- No superstitions.
Who is your role model & why?
- As far as a football player that I look up to, Brett Favre. Brett Favre did not care about the previous pass. He always went out there with the mindset that he was a gunslinger.
While in College, what has been your favorite & least favorite class?
- Favorite class: Sport Facility and event Planning.
- Least Favorite: Cultural Perspectives.
What made you choose Samford University?
- I chose Samford because it was close to home and all my family could be supportive without having to travel great distance. I felt like it was a place where I could come in and play early. It’s a great school with great people.
You earned your degree in Sports Administration & are currently working on your Master’s in Secondary Education. What made you pursue those subjects?
- I know I want to do something with sports when I have to hang my cleats up. I am pursuing my masters in secondary education because I may want to be a high-school head coach one day.
Outside of Football, what has been your favorite experience while in College?
- Just getting to know and hang with some of my closest friends that I’ve made here at Samford.
Growing up, who was your favorite NFL Team & NFL player, & why?
- The Packers and Brett Favre. I love the tradition the Packers have and Brett Favre is the man. Like i said in a previous question, he was a gunslinger.
If you could have dinner with three people, dead or alive, who are they?
- Brett Favre.
- Eric Church.
- Dale Earnhardt.
If you could meet any historical figure, who would you choose & why?
- Lester Capps, many people in the duck hunting/duck calling industry know who Lester is. He was apparently one of the greatest duck hunters in Arkansas.
Who is your favorite superhero & why?
- Batman, the reason I like batman is because he really doesn’t have superpowers, just has some awesome gadgets that make him cool. He is still human.
What is your definition of hard work?
- Doing what’s asked from your coaches with full effort and a lot of energy. Also working on your craft outside of practice. Doing the little things on a consistent basis.
Why do you wear #8?
- The number that was giving to me as a freshman in college. The number doesn’t make the player, the player makes the number.
Who do you choose, Jordan, LeBron or Kobe? Why?
- I can’t put Jordan in there because I didn’t watch him growing up. All 3 I know are great basketball players, but I would pick Kobe. The main reason is because of his last game as a Laker. You don’t have a game like that for no reason.
Are you a PS4 or Xbox One guy? What games are you playing right now?
- Currently, Xbox. Fortnite, Madden, NHL.
What is your hidden talent?
- Not really hidden anymore, But i am a world champion duck caller.
If there is a book written about Devlin Hodges, what is the title?
- “Quack Attack.”
What are three things on your “Bucket List?”
- Waterfowl Hunting in Canada.
- Elk Hunting in Colorado.
- Alaska Cruise.
Are you binge watching anything on Netflix or Hulu right now?
- Game of thrones on HBO.
If you could throw a TD to any NFL WR/TE, past or present, who would it be & why?
- Julio Jones, Growing up in Alabama he was fun to watch in college.
If you could give NFL scouts three words to describe the type of man they are getting in Devlin Hodges, what would they be?
- Difference maker.
What inspires you?
- My passion for the game. I love football. I believe there is a difference for those who play the game with passion. It takes a special person to be all in for something all the time. Football is a lot of hard work but most importantly, football is FUN. I enjoy the practices, the times I have in the locker room. I love winning on Saturdays also.