NFL Draft Diamonds Prospect Interview: Vince Char, DT, Widener University
- Vince Char.
- Widener University
- Twitter: @VinceChar
2017 Accolades & Statistics
- 2017 All-Middle Atlantic Conference Football First Team.
- D3football.com All-American Honorable Mention.
- D3football.com All-East Region.
- 86 Total Tackles – 24.0 TFL – 14.5 Sacks – 1 FF.
What is your name?
- Vincent Char.
Where do you play College Football?
- Widener University.
What position do you play?
- Defensive Tackle.
What is your height/weight?
- 6’3” 298lbs
Did you play any other sports growing up? If so, what were they?
- Basketball, Hockey, Soccer.
Who is the toughest player you have competed against in College?
- King’s College QB Zach Whitehead.
Are you listening to music before a game? If so, what?
- I listen to Coldplay because it gets me in an emotional zone where I’m focused in and ready to make plays.
Do you have any superstitions before a game? If so, what are they?
- No I do not have any superstitions.
Who is your role model & why?
- My only two role models are my Father Vince C. Char and my defensive line coach Jason Henshaw. Both of these men have showed me what it takes to be a man. They have both worked and grinded for everything in their lives and instilled this kind of hard work mentality in me. They support me throughout everything and I try every day to emulate their qualities as people.
While in College, what has been your favorite & least favorite class?
- My favorite class as a Mechanical Engineer has been compressible flow and my least favorite class was dynamics.
Outside of Football, what has been your favorite experience while in College?
- My favorite experiences outside of football have been the wing nights and bowling nights with my teammates.
Growing up, who was your favorite NFL Team & NFL player, & why?
- My favorite NFL team was the Philadelphia Eagles because I grew up in an Eagles fan household. My favorite player was defensive lineman John Randle because of how he made it to the league being undersized and how he was violent as a player.
If you could be in any movie of your choice, what would it be & what character would you play?
- The movie I would play in would be Marvel’s Avengers: Infinity War. I would love to play Thanos.
If you could have dinner with three people, dead or alive, who are they?
- NFL Legends: Reggie White, Warren Sapp, and Kevin Greene.
If you could meet any historical figure, who would you choose & why?
- Jackie Robinson because of not only what he represented in the sports realm, but what he has done for others outside of it. My goal as a player is to not only be a great athlete, but to be a great influence in my own community.
Who is your favorite superhero & why?
- Thor is my favorite superhero because we have the same hair and strength.
What is your definition of hard work?
- Hard work is consistent action, sacrifice, and dedication to make yourself the best at what you do.
What is the most unexpected lesson you learned while in College?
- After my freshman year, I learned what it really took in the off-season to be great and I never looked back.
What is something you wish you could go back & tell yourself as a High School Freshman?
- Learn to be more technically and fundamentally sound as a player because the details make you that much better.
Why do you wear #9?
- I wear 9 because of the long history of great Widener defensive lineman. There were great players that wore the numbers 5 (Brandon Jones), 6 (Stacey Sunnerville), 7 (Byron Cooper), and 8 (Shakore Philip). I felt that I had to make my own legacy in my own number and keep the tradition alive.
What is the best part of your hometown, Southampton, PA?
- The best part of my hometown is my family and friends. They play a huge role in the person and player I have become.
Who do you choose, Jordan or LeBron? Why?
- I choose LeBron James he can play all positions.
Are you a PS4 or Xbox One guy? What games are you playing right now?
- My allegiance aligns with Xbox One and the game I play currently is Fortnite.
What has been your most memorable moment as a student-athlete?
- Recording the most sacks in a single game (6) among all NCAA divisions versus Kings this past season.
If you could have three wishes granted, what would they be?
- One would be to win the 2018 MAC championship.
- Two would be to break the Single Season/Career Sack record at Widener.
- Three would be to play professional football after college.
What is your hidden talent?
- I have a photographic memory. I see things once (playbook, class notes) and it is sealed in my head.
If there is a book written about Vince Char, what is the title?
- “Started From the Bottom, Now We’re Here.”
What are three things on your “Bucket List?”
- Play professional football.
- Travel outside of the country.
- Create my own foundation.
Are you binge watching anything on Netflix or Hulu right now?
- The Office.
If you had one free hour each day, how would you choose to use it?
- I would take the opportunity to recover my body from the intense training like a massage.
If you could sack any NFL QB, past or present, who would it be & why?
- Michael Vick, because he was illusive and being able to bring him down is an accomplishment.
What are the goals for 2018, both individually & for the Widener football team?
- The goals for the Widener football team are the win the 2018 MAC championship. My individual goals to break the school record for sacks in a season and for a career as well as receiving All-American honors for the second time.
If you could give NFL scouts three words to describe the type of man they are getting in Vince Char, what would they be?
- Hard Working.
What inspires you?
- What inspires me to be great is proving people wrong by proving myself right. The road to professional football from a small school is harder, but makes for a better journey. I know what I am capable of and am here to write my own script.