When you are a head football coach, you try to sell your players to NFL teams. Most NFL teams will do their homework on a player, but the coach usually gives the scouts an honest assessment of their players, but they don’t hammer them in the media. Well Urban Meyer is a little different. He hammered his quarterback in the media, and I am not a big fan of this.
Some may feel he is just telling the truth, I feel he is trying to hurt his stock, because teams are going to question these comments. Here is what he said about Cardale Jones regarding the team that picks him.
“I think there’s going to have to be patience, an excellent quarterback coach that’s going to have to earn his trust,” Meyer said. “There’s going to have to be a great relationship there; he’s a relationship-type guy. He and [former OSU offensive coordinator] Tom Herman were very close and that took three years.
“It’s going to be dictated by the team that takes him, the amount of patience and the relationship he develops with the quarterback coach.”
“I think he’s a very sharp person. He loves football,” Meyer said. “Discipline will be big — when I say do the right thing, the best quarterbacks are complete students of the game and that’s all they do.
“The quarterbacks that weren’t — we’ve witnessed a couple tough situations in the NFL the last couple years — are the ones that are all over the place, more worried about social stuff going on and they fail. This will be big. How he attacks this opportunity is going to be key.”
If those comments were not bad enough, Meyer took another shot when asked about him as a person.
“A really good skill set, intellectual, very smart, wasn’t necessarily very good at school,” Meyer said of Jones. “I wonder if that kind of set him back a little bit. That’s one difference between pro and college — now he doesn’t have to worry about classes and going to school and all that stuff. He can focus completely on football.”
“Whoever drafts him will have to have a little bit of patience,” Meyer said. “The unfortunate thing in the NFL: There’s not a whole lot of patience.”
Follow Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
NFL Draft Diamonds
- Did You See This:NFL Transactions for October 23, 2020; Daily Workouts, Roster Cuts, and Signings… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 23 mins ago
- Last Chance:That Sports Guy’s Podcast: Taron Mallard, TE, Bethune-Cookman nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/10/taron-… #NFL #NFLDraftNews https://t.co/yuMJqr8BUW
about 48 mins ago
- Last Chance:NFL Transactions for October 23, 2020; Daily Workouts, Roster Cuts, and Signings… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 1 hour ago
- Did You See This:Fantasy Doctors: Aaron Jones injury update; How bad is his calf injury? nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/10/aaron-…… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 2 hours ago
- What it was Justin Zimmer’s Birthday? I smell a sack this week! @REALRICO_BF #HotTake twitter.com/larryzimm4/sta…
about 2 hours ago