What is Dead Cap? Dead money is the salary cap space a team must allocate to a particular player who has been cut. It serves as a device to ensure that every dollar a team has paid players is eventually allocated to that team’s salary cap.
Basically, it means the team is admitting their mistakes with previous contracts and cutting ties with players who they overpaid. The Miami Dolphins lead the NFL in dead money, according to Spotrac.com. These are the teams with the most dead cap space.
- The Dolphins are carrying $25.3 million in dead money.
- The New Orleans Saints are carrying $21.6 million in dead money.
- The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are carrying $21.1 million.
- The Baltimore Ravens are carrying $20.9 million.
- The Kansas City Chiefs are carrying $19.9 million.