According to Rich Cimini of ESPN, the New York Jets might not be stuck on drafting a quarterback with their sixth overall pick.
We’re still nine weeks from the draft, but the preliminary sense I get is the New York Jets aren’t looking to take a quarterback with their first-round pick. Obviously, that could change as they continue to evaluate Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota, but the vibe close to the organization is that general manager Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles aren’t in a quarterback-or-bust mode. Is it because they still believe Geno Smith can be salvaged or because they’re not sold on Winston and Mariota? Hard to say; it’s probably a little of both. Personally, I think it would be a mistake to pass on Mariota if he falls to the Jets at No. 6, assuming Winston already is gone. Maybe the Jets believe they can elevate Smith by building around him. It’s risky. I talked to several scouts and personnel people at the combine, and none of them spoke glowingly of Smith.
It sounds like Geno Smith is getting another vote of confidence.
Follow Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
NFL Draft Diamonds
- Sabres Top-Tier Talent is For Real (Part 1 of 2) ift.tt/2FQ51tC
about 19 mins ago
- NFL Transactions for September 19, 2020; Signings, Daily Workouts, and Roster Cuts nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/09/nfl-tr… #NFL… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 40 mins ago
- ICYMI:Breaking: Bills are signing former Jets OC Jonotthan Harrison to their practice squad nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/09/jonott…… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 55 mins ago
- That Sports Guy’s Podcast: Jordan Canady, DB, North Dakota nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/09/that-s… #NFL #NFLDraftNews https://t.co/iIc9Q8O0EK
about 2 hours ago
- Crazy twitter.com/ABC/status/130…
about 2 hours ago