According to Chris Mortensen and Adam Schefter of ESPN, the NFL Players Association demanded via letter sent to the league on Friday the reinstatement of Peterson. The NFLPA’s argument arises from the terms of the agreement that placed Peterson on the Commissioner-Exempt list.
The agreement to place Peterson on the commissioner’s exempt list explicitly states that Peterson would be removed from the list upon resolution of his legal matter, sources said. Peterson pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor last week.
If the NFL declines to comply with the agreement, the NFLPA can then file an expedited non-injury grievance to have Peterson reinstated immediately.
The NFL wants: Peterson to submit all evidence from his court case; independent experts to review those documents; independent experts to make a recommendation on discipline; and after that, they want him to meet with commissioner Roger Goodell to discuss what happened to make a disciplinary decision, which could be creating a new precedent for the new personal conduct policy.
In the first sentence of the letter the NFL sent to Peterson, the league specifically refers to the “felony Injury to a Child” charge — a clear signal that a no-contest plea to misdemeanor assault may have omitted any reference to child abuse but the NFL will not ignore the incident in its review.
Follow Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
NFL Draft Diamonds
- There is literally nothing on TV tonight, so we are going to be forced to watch a debate? Come on
about 15 mins ago
- Last Chance:Are good defenses Lamar Jackson’s kryptonite? nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/09/lamar-… #NFL #NFLDraftNews https://t.co/FbOYBpbzp6
about 24 mins ago
- Did You See This:NFL Transactions for September 29, 2020; Daily Workouts, Signings and Roster Cuts… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 29 mins ago
- Did You See This:2021 NFL Draft Prospect Interview: Ivan Mertilus, DB, Los Angeles Valley College… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 40 mins ago
- Last Chance:Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes became the fastest QB to reach 10,000 yards passing in just 34 games… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 40 mins ago