According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, The Green Bay Packers and Sam Shields will not have a deal completed in the next 10 days, meaning the cornerback will test free agency. Before this came out the Packers corner had said that he was hoping to get a deal similar to Tim Jennings of the Chicago Bears who just recently signed a deal worth 22 million for four years.
The Packers want Shields to return, but the 26-year-old instead will test the open market, according to the source.
A league source told ESPN.com earlier this week that talks had been “ongoing” between Shields and the Packers.
Shields, who played last season under a restricted free-agent tender of $2.023 million, is coming off his best season. He tied his career high with four interceptions in 14 games, including a game-changing pick in the fourth quarter of a Week 15 win over the Dallas Cowboys.
I would expect Shields to get paid more than he was originally expecting, because with the salary cap rising 5.5 million for a very solid corner in his prime is considered a steal.
Follow Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
NFL Draft Diamonds
- Great opportunity for small schoolers! Must check it out twitter.com/cgssmall/statu…
about 5 mins ago
- Draft Buzz: Catching up with Coastal Carolina Edge Jeffrey Gunter nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/11/jeffre… #NFL #NFLDraftNews https://t.co/Vq3MZQvOca
about 6 mins ago
- ICYMI:Fantasy Doctors: Josh Jacobs Injury Update, Great News, but is it the dreaded high ankle sprain?… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 10 mins ago
- ICYMI:2021 NFL Draft Prospect: Kenny Pickett, QB, University of Pittsburgh nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/11/ryan-p… #NFL… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 16 mins ago
- Week 12 Recap: Los Angeles Chargers vs Buffalo Bills ift.tt/39qKbxK
about 18 mins ago