Michael Sam Sr. told The New York Times that he received the news last Tuesday when his son wrote in a text:
“Dad, I’m gay.”
Sam’s father told the New York Times he took the news extremely hard. He said he was eating at a Denny’s restaurant but had to leave the minute after receiving the text.
“I couldn’t eat no more, so I went to Applebee’s to have drinks,” Sam Sr. told the newspaper. “I don’t want my grandkids raised in that kind of environment.”
Sam Sr., is “old-school,” and he told the newspaper the idea of a gay player in the NFL bothers him, even when that person could be his own son.
He told the newspaper that late Hall of Famer Deacon Jones, the leader of the Rams’ Fearsome Foursome who is credited with terming the word sack, “is turning over in his grave.”
He told the newspaper, however, that he loves his son and hopes he makes it into the NFL.
“As a black man, we have so many hurdles to cross. This is just one he has to cross,” Sam Sr. told The Times.
Well it seems that Michael Sam has most of the world’s approval, but his own father is not too happy with the news. I couldn’t imagine my son telling me that news. Especially in a text? That was cowardly if you ask me, he should have at least told him to his face.
Follow Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
NFL Draft Diamonds
- Did You See This:Derek Carr posts a picture on IG wearing a Bulletproof vest saying “it’s that time again”… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 23 mins ago
- Did You See This:NFL Transactions for January 20, 2021 | Daily Workouts, Signings and Roster Cuts… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 1 hour ago
- Did You See This:Did Titans WR A.J. Brown play the entire year with torn meniscus’ on both knees?… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 2 hours ago
- Last Chance:The QB Spotlight Podcast: Transfer Portal QB’s: Discussing Hockman, Brice, O’Hara, and McCloud… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 3 hours ago
- Last Chance:Fantasy Doctors: Vita Vea Injury Update | Will the Bucs get a big boost on the D-Line?… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 3 hours ago