How many teams were recruiting you out of high school?
-Basically everyone in my league, GVSU, Saginaw, Northwood, Michigan Tech, Northern Michigan, Ferris State. Outside of my league I also had Central Michigan, Western Michigan, and the University of Michigan.
Where did you choose and why?
-GVSU- I felt like it was the best fit for me, coming from a small school. I felt like if I went to Michigan I wouldn’t get the playing time I wanted. I wanted a school that had good academics as well.
What were your goals for your senior year?
-Well obviously my number 1 goal was to graduate, that came before anything football wise. As far as football, I set the bar high for myself and I just wanted to give myself an opportunity to go out there and prove myself. Don’t mess up when someone gives you an opportunity.
Have any scouts met with you, and if so what are they saying?
-I haven’t met with any at all, but my pro day is coming up on March 10th.
At your position, what separates you from the others?
-I feel like my knowledge of the game sets me apart. You really gotta know what you’re doing. Read and react. I feel like I was blessed with the ability to read and react very well. Also, I feel like my sense of direction, my speed and my ability to snag the ball out of the air set me apart.
Tell us what you look for when breaking down film?
-When breaking down game film I watch tendencies. Coaches tell us what formations to watch. I pick out tendencies of the DB’s on all downs. I watch the guys I’m going against and see which side I can attack him and which side can I exploit. I am my biggest critic and I always critique myself. There is always room for improvement.
Who was the toughest player you have ever faced?
-Brian Dixon from Northwest Missouri. He was a natural athlete with a good feel for the game. He knew what was coming and he was super smart.
If you could compare your play to one person in the NFL who would it be?
-Julian Edelman. It’s a tall order. A little side note though..that Brian Dixon guy didn’t stop me.
What was the biggest obstacle in your life you had to overcome, and how did you overcome it?
-Adversity has been a huge thing in my life. People would tell me everyday, “he’s too small, he’s not gonna make it.” When i was 6 they told me I was too small, I was gonna get hurt. Well I didn’t. In middle school and high school I heard the same thing. As a sophomore in college, same thing. I could repeat this until I’m blue in the face. I recently got team MVP at the GVSU football banquet. It’s nothing but fuel for the fire.
What system fits your style of play the best?
– I love catching the ball, so a passing style is awesome. But a balanced offense works the best. I really pride myself on my blocking. I wanted colleges to know I could block as well as catch. I pride myself on becoming a better blocker every day. Equal run equal pass.
What is your biggest strength?
– Probably mental toughness. Aside from my confidence in my hands and running routes, I feel like my mental toughness is above anyone else’s. I was in the hospital this year with kidney stones. I was actually passing a kidney stone on the way to a game and had 2 TD’S and 100 + yards that game. I really taught myself that if you are mentally tough you can get through anything.
What is your biggest weakness?
– My size. That’s nothing I can change, and I wouldn’t look at it as much as a weakness, but a challenge. At 5’10 and 180 pounds, guys look at me and say you’re small but I feel like I’ve overcome that.
If I were a GM and gave you a second to sell yourself, what would you say?
– I’d tell you the truth. I have the heart of a champion. My mental toughness is above anyone else. Im here because I love the game- not the paycheck. It doesn’t matter if I’m on the practice squad, special teams, or a starter, Im gonna bust my butt. Its not a job to me, its my love and I don’t plan on stopping anytime soon. Im here to help your team win and I will do that in any way possible.
Me: Its really great you have that attitude. A lot of guys miss the mark on that.
Him: I pride myself on being humble and down to earth. I can sit here and be cocky but that only leads to bad things.
Growing up, who was your role model?
-Terrell Davis. He played the game because he loved it. He was only in for 4-5 years, had a degree, and he just wanted to play the game. He knew he could stop playing and make money elsewhere. He went out there and put his heart and soul into it.
Who was your favorite team and player in the NFL and why?
-The Denver Broncos because of Terrell Davis and growing up and watching him. Currently I’d have to say Calvin Johnson. They don’t call him megatron for nothing. My nickname was minitron throughout this season. It was quite an honor.
What was the most tragic event that ever happened in your life and how did you overcome it?
-Currently dealing with a pretty tough thing. One of my best friends from high school just passed 2 days ago. Anytime you see someone leave this world too soon its tough. Also, my brother’s step brother got murdered and I had to be the one to tell him. That was extremely hard to do.
If you were to have dinner with three people dead or alive who would it be?
– My girlfriend, Rockefeller so he could pay for it, and either Calvin Johnson or Terrell Davis.
With your first paycheck what would you buy?
-Without a doubt a Jeep Grand Cherokee. This Michigan weather is horrible and I need a car that can get around in the snow.
Follow Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
NFL Draft Diamonds
- Trey Songz arrested for fighting a police officer at Chiefs game (VIDEO) nfldraftdiamonds.com/2021/01/trey-s… #NFL #NFLDraftNews https://t.co/aHfgDItcXj
about 25 mins ago
- That Sports Guy’s Podcast: Shemar Jean-Charles, DB, Appalachian State nfldraftdiamonds.com/2021/01/shemar… #NFL #NFLDraftNews https://t.co/WMwa2u8is1
about 43 mins ago
- Getting to Know NFL Draft Prospect: Nick Broeker, LT, Ole Miss nfldraftdiamonds.com/2021/01/nick-b… #NFL #NFLDraftNews https://t.co/ZTOvrm1yRL
about 51 mins ago
- Fantasy Doctors: DeVonta Smith surgery update | Heisman winner needed two surgeries on his hand… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 57 mins ago
- NFLHeads Draft Prospect Interview: Jeremy Bell, CB, University of Charleston nfldraftdiamonds.com/2021/01/jeremy… #NFL… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 1 hour ago