While Bears quarterback Jay Cutler remains firmly on the record with his hopes to remain a Bear, he understands a complicated negotiating process awaits and won’t necessarily produce his desired result.
“We’ll find equal ground. We’ll get it worked out,” Cutler said with optimism Monday on his weekly radio show on WMVP-AM 1000. “I don’t know when it’s going to happen. And eventually it might not happen. But we’re going to take a crack at it, I’m sure.”
Cutler has much incentive to remain a Bear, wanting to stay part of an evolving and high-powered offense that finished the season with more net passing yards (4,281) and total yards (6,109) than any group in team history. Despite missing 51/2 games with groin and ankle injuries, Cutler threw for 2,621 yards and 19 touchdown passes with 12 interceptions in his 11 starts.
His 89.2 rating was a career high and fueled his optimism in an offense under coach Marc Trestman that has stabilized its offensive line and is full of playmakers, most notably Pro Bowlers Brandon Marshall and Matt Forte plus Alshon Jeffery and Martellus Bennett.
The crazy thing is if the team is not committed to franchise tagging Cutler (which would cost 16 million for one year), Cutler could walk. If Cutler walks, one team that I know for a fact that would be interested is the Houston Texans. The Texans could land a quarterback that has experience at a decent price, and he could really help the playmakers in Houston out, like Arian Foster, Andre Johnson and DeAndre Hopkins. This would also give the Texans a chance to draft Jadeveon Clowney to go opposite of J.J. Watt. This would create the best chance for the Texans to get back on pace and back in the playoffs.
NFL Draft Diamonds
- NFL Transactions for February 21st, 2019 nfldraftdiamonds.com/2019/02/nfl-tr… #NFL #NFLDraftNews https://t.co/XGOdl8A21o
about 8 mins ago via Damond Talbot Wp Twitt Pro
- Bills trade down from 9 to 15 pick up a 1st rounder next year and a first this year, then draft Greedy Williams twitter.com/TwitterSports/…
about 9 mins ago via Twitter Web Client
- Five hidden gems in the 2019 NFL Draft - @Chobani84 @AboveQuis @SidFor6 @BradMayesQB_4 were all mentioned by… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 10 mins ago via Twitter Web Client
- Baron Davis’ Business Inside the Game Ignites NBA Wives Women’s Empowerment Summit, NBA and NFL Athletes, Entertain… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 17 mins ago via IFTTT
- Five hidden gems in the 2019 NFL Draft nfldraftdiamonds.com/2019/02/hidden… #NFL #NFLDraftNews https://t.co/7AwOtmRXD0
about 17 mins ago via Damond Talbot Wp Twitt Pro