Ray Lucas, who played from 1996-2002 for the New York Jets and Miami Dolphins, said he had at least 19 concussions in his short NFL career. He has pain in his back, and pain in his neck causes uncontrollable spasms. Without any health insurance to fix the problem, he became addicted to pain pills, as many as 80 a day. At his lowest point, the husband and father of three daughters contemplated suicide.
“I came to the conclusion there was nothing else to do except end my miserable life,” Lucas said in an episode of GQ’s documentary series “Casualties of the Gridiron.”
Lucas goes on to say that his plan was to drive off the George Washington Bridge, but he was able to call P.A.S.T. (Pain Alternatives Solutions and Treatments), which works with former players. They provided assistance, and helped Lucas get the spinal fusion surgery he needed but couldn’t afford because he couldn’t get health insurance.
This is just another crazy story about a former player than was really close to killing himself from the pain caused by concussions. Pretty scary situation, but thankfully for P.A.S.T he was able to get help.
NFL Draft Diamonds
- Tiki Barber agrees with the Giants trading Odell Beckham Jr. nfldraftdiamonds.com/2019/05/odell-… #NFL #NFLDraftNews
about 9 mins ago via Damond Talbot Wp Twitt Pro
- Draymond Green’s Son Is No Longer Allowed to Watch the NBA After Developing This Bad Habit bit.ly/2X1MP3K
about 29 mins ago via IFTTT
- XFL Diamonds: Potential Prospects for the XFL 2020 – Defensive Front 7 Edition nfldraftdiamonds.com/2019/05/xfl-3/ #NFL… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 1 hour ago via Damond Talbot Wp Twitt Pro
- Constructive Dismissal Solicitor– Employment Law Compensation Claims bit.ly/30wtI3Z
about 2 hours ago via IFTTT
- 2020 NFL Draft Prospect Interview: James Robinson, RB, Illinois State University nfldraftdiamonds.com/2019/05/james-… #NFL… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 2 hours ago via Damond Talbot Wp Twitt Pro