WPSD is reporting Walter Powell was arrested on charges of 4th degree assault and theft by unlawful taking of property less $500 on Monday.
We had the pleasure to speak with several people at the party which ultimately landed wide receiver Walter Powell in jail for the charges listed above. One of the players present at the incident told us that he never struck the victim.
The player went on to tell me what happened:
Basically, there was a party packed full of athletes and students. There were several females dancing with the football players and having a good time, when Powell’s ex-girlfriend stormed into the party with her friends, and began getting jealous.
Another person present at the party stated Powell did nothing wrong:
According to the source at the party, the ex girlfriend approached Walter when he was dancing with another girl and tried to pull him away from the girl. Walter shrugged her off and continued to dance. He never swung on her, or hit her.
Approximately 20 minutes later, the police arrived at the party and said they needed to speak to Walter. We all (Football players) went outside with him and his ex girlfriend was at one car and he was at the other police car. The female was telling the police that he had punched her in the face and took her car keys/purse.
Walter was not taken into custody because she had no marks on her face and he did not have possession of her car keys/purse, so the police told him he was free to go back to the party. The following morning I heard the police arrested Walter.
I contacted Walter Powell for comment and he stated:
“I was advised by my attorneys not to comment on the incident, and I would appreciate it if you would not contact me until this situation is over.”
Even though Powell was arrested and charged with the crimes listed above, he still remains innocent until proven guilty. So before anyone jumps the gun and begins slandering his name, they need to wait until the case is complete. Murray State seems to believe Walter’s story as well, and issued this statement:
“The Athletic Department is aware of the incident involving Walter Powell, and has been investigating it the past few days in an attempt to identify the facts surrounding the matter. We do not condone any type of behavior that would embarrass the program, the University or be harmful to any individual. Based on our findings to date, and current knowledge of the event in question, we do not believe any suspension or punishment is warranted. Should additional information come to light, the matter will be reexamined as necessary.”
Follow Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
NFL Draft Diamonds
- Did You See This:Draft Diamonds Prospect Interview: Tyrell Williams, WR, Western Oregon University… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 20 mins ago
- Did You See This:NFL Draft Diamonds Prospect Interview: Matt Judon, DE, Grand Valley State University… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 21 mins ago
- Did You See This:2021 NFL Draft Prospect Interview: Ethan Tucky, OLB, University of Cincinnati… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 23 mins ago
- Did You See This:NFL Draft Diamonds Free Agent Interview Datryan Evans, Tight End nfldraftdiamonds.com/2021/02/datrya… #NFL… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 48 mins ago
- Did You See This:2021 NFL Draft Prospect Interview: Richard McBryde, LB, SMU nfldraftdiamonds.com/2021/02/richar… #NFL… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 1 hour ago