NFL Draft Diamonds Prospect Interview: Brett Taylor, LB, Western Illinois University
- Brett Taylor
- Western Illinois University
What is your name?
- Brett Taylor.
Where did you play College Football?
- Western Illinois University.
What position do you play?
What is your height/weight?
- 6’1” 235lbs.
Did you play any other sports growing up? If so, what were they?
- I played as many sports as possible growing up. They included wrestling, soccer, golf, basketball, track, baseball, and obviously football.
Who is the toughest player you have competed against in College?
- Everyday in practice, Jacob Judd (Western Illinois C) was a handful.
Are you listening to music before a game? If so, what?
- Yes. “Put On” by Young Jeezy.
Do you have any superstitions before a game? If so, what are they?
- My teammate David Griffith and I used to put on each other’s eye black, and I had the strength coach help me put on my shoulder pads. I just tried to be as relaxed as possible before a game.
Who is your role model & why?
- My grandfather was my role model. He encouraged me to be the best I could be every single day by working hard and practicing as much as possible. Although he has had health issues, his energy and positivity has always remained the same.
While in College, what has been your favorite & least favorite class?
- My favorite class was Theory of Sport with Dr. Hart. My least favorite was Grad School Statistics.
Outside of Football, what has been your favorite experience while in College?
- I have really enjoyed meeting and becoming friends with people from all walks of life.
Growing up, who was your favorite NFL Team & NFL player, & why?
- The Green Bay Packers and Brett Favre were my favorites. I think Favre is one of the toughest to have ever played the game and win at all costs. It helps that I was named after him.
If you could be in any movie of your choice, what would it be & what character would you play?
- I would enjoy being in any of the Fast and Furious movies. I would want to be Dom (Vin Diesel’s character).
If you could have dinner with three (3) people, dead or alive, who are they?
- Vince Lombardi, Martin Luther King, Jr., and Jesus.
If you could meet any historical figure, who would you choose & why?
- Leif Erickson. He was a Great Viking Explorer and discovered the New World well before Columbus.
Who is your favorite superhero & why?
- Batman. He has no super powers but he is still able to save the day.
What is your definition of hard work?
- Hard Work is being the first one to show up and the last one to leave. It is working behind the scenes going unnoticed but being very productive.
What is the most unexpected lesson you learned while in College?
- Whatever battle I was fighting, there was always someone else always fighting a tougher battle than mine.
What is something you wish you could go back & tell yourself as a High School Freshman?
- I would tell myself “All your hard work and long hours will eventually pay off!”
Why do you wear #44?
- It was the number given to me my freshman year. My high school number (54) was already taken by another player.
What is the best part of your hometown, Macomb, IL?
- The people of Macomb are always supportive during the good and bad times. I know that no matter what, they will always have my back.
Are you binge watching anything on Netflix or Hulu right now?
- Riverdale on Netflix.
If you had one free hour each day, how would you choose to use it?
- I would play with my dog, Zella.
You were a Recreation Park Tourism Administration major, what made you choose that subject?
- My ultimate goal was to get a degree in Sports Management but WIU didn’t offer that as an undergraduate. Therefore, I thought this would help me as I pursued my graduate degree in Sports Management and help me become an Athletic Director.
If you could make a drive-stopping tackle on one NFL RB, past or present, who would it be & why?
- I would enjoy tackling Adrian Pederson because he always seemed to destroy the Packers. I would want to get my shot at him.
Your cousin, Lyndi Thorman, played basketball at UTSA. Who is the bigger trash-talker on the court/field, you or Lyndi?
- I honestly don’t know, but since I don’t trash talk, I would assume it would be her.
If you could give the 32 NFL teams three words to describe the type of man they are getting in Brett Taylor, what would they be?
- Honest, Courageous, Dependable.