NFL Draft Diamonds Future Prospect Interview: Brad Mayes, QB, Lehigh University
- Brad Mayes
- Lehigh University
What is your name?
- Brad Mayes.
Where do you play College Football?
- Lehigh University.
What position do you play?
What is your height/weight?
- 6’2″ 220lbs.
Did you play any other sports growing up? If so, what were they?
- Baseball and Basketball.
Who is the toughest player you have competed against in College?
- Mike Basille from Monmouth or Robert Rolle from Villanova.
Are you listening to music before a game? If so, what?
- Yes and I listen to a mixture of Migos and Drake.
Do you have any superstitions before a game? If so, what are they?
- I have to always be the first one dressed and taped so I don’t worry about the rest of that and can get focused for the game.
Who is your role model & why?
- My role model is my dad, no matter what I’m going through he’s always there for me and reminds me why I do what I do.
While in College, what has been your favorite & least favorite class?
- My favorite class has been Real Estate and my least favorite class was Business Calculus.
Outside of Football, what has been your favorite experience while in College?
- I believe my favorite experience has been being able to make new friends and brothers that have allowed me to better myself and make me feel like I’m at home even though I’m so far from home.
Growing up, who was your favorite NFL Team & NFL player, & why?
- Dallas Cowboys and my favorite NFL player was Peyton Manning growing up. Dallas Cowboys because my dad raised me to be a Cowboys fan and Peyton Manning because I played for the Colts when I was younger and he was also the quarterback for the Colts.
If you could be in any movie of your choice, what would it be & what character would you play?
- Tony Stark from Iron Man.
If you could have dinner with three (3) people, dead or alive, who are they?
- Derek Jeter
- Will Ferrell
- Morgan Freeman
If you could meet any historical figure, who would you choose & why?
- Jackie Robinson because I enjoy the game of baseball and what he did for not only the sport but for America as well is remarkable.
Who is your favorite superhero & why?
- My favorite superhero has to be Black Panther because he has the ability to do it all especially with the technology they have.
What is your definition of hard work?
- My definition of hard work is having the ability do something when it is uncomfortable. My head strength coach at school has a saying that he wants you to be “comfortable being uncomfortable” and I believe that means being able to push through a tough time and overcoming adversity while giving it 100%.
What is the most unexpected lesson you learned while in College?
- The most unexpected lesson I learned was that I had to grow up really quick. In high school people talked about how independent you have to become but I didn’t believe it would be like this. From my mom doing my laundry to my parents taking care of me when I get sick. It was a rude awakening for me when I got to college but I learned how to become independent and I have grown from it.
What is something you wish you could go back & tell yourself as a High School Freshman?
- I wish I could go back and tell myself to not worry about outside expectations and just worry about myself. I often tried to please everyone else and never focused on myself and what I wanted until now.
Why do you wear #4?
- I wear number 4 because I wanted to change from number 14, I wanted a single digit number and the year I was changing numbers Dak Prescott was the quarterback for my favorite team.
What is the best part of your hometown, Tampa, FL?
- What is not to like about Tampa, I think the best part about my hometown has to be that there is no snow, ever. I am a big fan of the warm weather and the sun which is why I like being from Florida so much.
Are you bbinge-watchinganything right now?
- I have seen The Office 100 times but I have decided recently to start watching it again because it is so funny.
If you had one free hour each day, how would you choose to use it?
- I would spend it with my friends. At times you need to have a break and a stress reliever and there is nothing better than spending time with my friends either watching sports or playing video games.
What are the team goals for Lehigh University in 2018 & individual goals for you?
- Our team goals are to win the Patriot League Championship for the 3rd year in a row and to begin to make a name for ourselves in the playoffs. We want to accomplish all of this while maintaining our team culture which is Trust, Accountability, and Ownership/Pride. I don’t have any individual goals, I don’t believe in stats. As long as I can go out and put my best foot forward and leave it all on the field for my team I’ll be happy.