- Name: Markel Roby
- Position: DB/KR
- College: Pittsburg State University
- Height: 6ft
- Weight: 205Ib
- Twitter: @___Makaveli
- Instagram: AkaR0by
What makes you a top prospect at your position in the 2022 NFL Draft?
- I am a hardworking, self-starter. I feel that I am a versatile player, as well as a competitor who will not only try to push himself to be the best, but those around him. So, I’d say the things that separate me are my attitude, charisma, and athletic ability, being more than just a safety, and being able to play any spot on the backend when needed, as well as energize peers.
At what age were you first interested in the sport of football?
- I’ve been interested in football for pretty much my entire life. I wish I started sooner but I didn’t start playing until I was about 12 years old.
What is one thing that NFL teams should know about you?
- Once again that I am a self-starter and always looking to push myself to the next level. I want them to know that I will maximize the opportunity given to me giving Maximum effort at all times. I also encourage my peers as much as I can to help everyone receive the same results.
If you could donate to one cause in the world, what would it be?
- I would give money back to the city of New Orleans for the construction of playground areas, and more family friendly activity in the city so that I can give back to my place of birth and the youth that are growing there the same as I have.
What is the best advice you have ever received?
- The best advice I’ve ever received was to always control emotion and never let emotion control you. Emotion can get you into trouble and it is a matter of perspective, it’s all about how you look at it. Take a step back and control what you give your energy to and you will have more control in your life.
Who was your childhood hero?
- My father has been my role model and hero for a long time now. I look up to him! He gave me a mold so that I could shape into the best man that I could be and for that I thank him, because I can not think of anyone who could do it better.
Who is the most underrated teammate in your locker room at your school?
- There are a lot of underrated players in my locker room. There is a lot of talent in my locker room so I’d have to name two. Tyler Adkins and Jordan Hendy!
What is your biggest pet peeve?
- Fully capable individuals underachieving and not reaching full potential. I’ve seen a lot of talent and potential go to waste and It has always been something that bothers me deeply.
Overcoming adversity is what defines character, what was the hardest moment in your life to overcome?
- I’d say the toughest moment for me was at the beginning of my senior season this year I suffered an superficial injury to both of my hands that cause a lot of adversity. It set me back in a crucial time of preparation, but didn’t stop me in my mission to be the best I could be on and off the field. It was hard not playing ball at the time and being cautious of interrupting the healing process in the midst of season openers approaching. I was able to make it through, healing 100% all while still playing ball and going to war with my brothers as the season progressed.
Tell me something about your school and why it is so special to you?
- My school is Historically the most winningest program in Kansas football history. We have a long line of tradition here, the standard is set high and we are expected to do nothing less than smash the standard and set a new one, and I love it! I enjoyed my time here after moving from NAIA and my two years here have been great. Phenomenal facilities especially at this level and great culture are all some of the same reasons why I chose to come here to begin with. Pitt state also believed in my ability and let me join their family and for that I’m forever great full #Oagaag!!
What is your favorite snack food?
- Pancakes! I like pancakes really late at night.
What is the best part of football?
- Playing the best competition, it’s a feeling you get when your competing against good competition and it’s amazing. I have so much fun competing at the highest level and I think that’s what makes me so infatuated with the game of football. Being able to impose will and bring home the victory.
If you could sell yourself in one sentence what would you say?
- Opportunity should not be wasted, my best foot will be put forward at all times I am self driven.
If you could compare your play to one player in the NFL who would it be?
- I feel I bring my own style of play to the game of football. I respect many great players who are where I want to be some day or have been. However I don’t feel that I plays similarly to any one player because of how much I can do on the football field.
If you could have dinner with three people dead or alive, who would it be and why?
- Sean Taylor, Master P, and Ed Reed. Sean T and Ed for obvious reasons. I’d love to pick the brains of two of the best football players to do it. Plus both Ed and Master P are from my state so I’d love to hear from two men of color who are successful coming from the same circumstances. One being an athlete and the other being a successful business man.