- Name: Phillip Powell
- Position: SS/LB
- College: SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
- Height: 6’1
- Weight: 210
- Twitter: flyhighp2
- Instagram: flyhighp2
What makes you a top prospect at your position in the 2022 NFL Draft?
- Football intelligence. I have played 20+ games of college football and have seen the very best offensive coordinators college football has to offer (Lincoln Riley OU). Physicality is another attribute I bring to the table, I am very physical at the point of attack. I take pride in being unblockable on the perimeter. My ball skills are my best attribute, being an outfielder in baseball definitely comes in handy tracking fade and post balls.
At what age were you first interested in the sport of football?
- 4. My older brother started playing who was 7 years older than me and he influenced me to become the player that I am today.
What is one thing that NFL teams should know about you?
- They should know I am grateful for any opportunity I receive and I am a hard worker. I understand the consistency needed week in and week out. I take pride in the little things. I am a real blue collar guy who is not afraid to get my hands dirty.
If you could donate to one cause in the world, what would it be?
- Asthma and allergy foundation of America: My older brother passed away from asthma during a high school football game, I know many other families in America have experienced unfortunate deaths due to asthma, so donating to the cause helps me heal from my loss.
What is the best advice you have ever received?
- If you love something let it go
Who was your childhood hero?
- ADRIAN PETERSON
Who is the most underrated teammate in your locker room at your school?
- Qua Brown
What is your biggest pet peeve?
Overcoming adversity is what defines character, what was the hardest moment in your life to overcome?
- COVID year 2020: opting out from The 2020 season due to COVID (and in alliance with the PAC 12 boycott for health and safety demands) did not sit well with members of my coaching staff. The head coach during my time at Washington State (no longer employed) did not agree with my decision and insisted I enter the transfer portal due to my concern for c. My father fell ill from COVID and my mother had surgery for a major breast cancer scare during fall 2020. My family means the world to me so there was no need to think twice about moving back home to be closer to my parents.
Tell me something about your school and why it is so special to you?
- Southern Illinois is so special because they made it feel like home from day one. Everybody on staff was first class and treated me like family. Equipment managers always took care of gear, name plate on my locker the first day I arrived. Coaches were honest and all really loved winning. They taught us how to be more than good football players, they made sure we were good men, husbands, and fathers.
What is your favorite snack food?
- Pop tarts
What is the best part of football?
- The brotherhood
If you could sell yourself in one sentence what would you say?
- All I know how to do is show up and make plays, every time I play, a play is made. Whenever you see a play, I am the one making it.
If you could compare your play to one player in the NFL who would it be?
- Harrison Smith: I really take pride in executing my job and making high level plays within the defense. I feel like Harrison Smith is the most assignment sound safety in the league for 9 years.
If you could have dinner with three people dead or alive, who would it be and why?
- Jeff Besos, Kanye West, Steve Jobs