- Name: James Burchett
- Position: Right Guard
- College: Notre Dame College
- Height: 6’3
- Weight: 305
- Twitter: @jimmyb_57
- Instagram: @jimmyburchett67
What makes you a top prospect at your position in the 2022 NFL Draft?
- I believe what would make me a top prospect is how dedicated I am and how much I enjoy learning new things about football. Even half way through my senior year I’m noticing and learning something new each week from the help of my coaches. I’m always open to learning new techniques to help with a task at hand.
At what age were you first interested in the sport of football?
- I started playing tackle football at the age of 5 and it immediately caught my attention. I remember watching my older brother play football at a high level and I always wanted to be just like him. I think watching him is where my work ethic came from to want to be better.
What is one thing that NFL teams should know about you?
- Each and every day they will get the most out of me. I understand that football is not something you can just show up and be good at. It takes countless hours on the field, in the weight room and in your playbook to bring something special together. And that’s exactly what the game of football is, special.
If you could donate to one cause in the world, what would it be?
- Something I’ve always wanted to do in my life is to be able to make a difference to those in need. If I had money and was able to donate to help make a difference in the world it would be toward the black lives matter movement and also to breast cancer awareness. I’ve had too many family members and friends effected by this and raising awareness is the first step in the right direction for change.
What is the best advice you have ever received?
- That tomorrow is never guaranteed whether it be in football or even in life so why wait to accomplish your goals. The only way for something to change is to be the change itself.
Who was your childhood hero?
- My childhood hero and still my hero today are my parents. There is no one else I have ever met that would sacrifice so much to ensure a better tomorrow for someone else. Their love goes deeper than just family, they are genuine people who would do anything in their power to help someone’s life become better. They are the reason I am who I am.
NFL Draft Diamonds partners with the 2022 Hula Bowl All-Star Game in Orlando, Florida
Who is the most underrated teammate in your locker room at your school?
- Brandon Nicholson, he is highly respected by a lot of people and his talent shows each and every practice and game. But even though he has received recognition I believe he is still not noticed enough for the kind of player and person he is.
What is your biggest pet peeve?
- Complacency, it is inevitable for people to feel satisfied at some point in life but that does not mean things can’t get better. A lot of people know they’re good at something but won’t strive to be great and take the extra step to be successful.
Overcoming adversity is what defines character, what was the hardest moment in your life to overcome?
- When my grandfather passed away. He was one of my biggest supporters and a big reason why I chose NDC. I wanted to stay close so he and my family would be able to watch me play football but he passed away before I ever started a game in college. I know he still watches over me but it was a hard obstacle to overcome.
Tell me something about your school and why it is so special to you?
- It is a smaller school but has a great family atmosphere to it. Everyone from the students to the teachers and coaches want you to be successful just as much on the field as they do off the field. They continuously go out of their way to make someone’s day better and I believe it is a very underrated trait of NDC and it’s people. They’ve done a great job in creating that to be the standard for all of us to uphold.
What is your favorite snack food?
- I try to avoid eating bad in season but out of season my favorite snack is sour patch straws. In season I would say it’s pretzels.
What is the best part of football?
- I love competition but I would say it has to be the brotherhood you form with so many different people. You come to understand that there are so many different kinds of people and the paths that they have had to take that led us all to the same location and have brought us together for one common goal. It’s truly special.
If you could sell yourself in one sentence what would you say?
- I learn from my mistakes and I will be better tomorrow than I am today.
If you could compare your play to one player in the NFL who would it be?
- I strive to play like Quenton Nelson, I love the way he approaches the game. One of my favorite things to do while playing is to pull and show my athleticism at the second level. I believe he’s one of the best at that and shows it week in and week out.
If you could have dinner with three people dead or alive, who would it be and why?
- My grandfather would be first on my list, I would do anything to see him one more time. Second would be Joe Thomas, I’ve grown up watching the Browns and he stands for everything I try to be. He is the definition of someone who is not willing to quit when things get difficult and once he puts his mind toward something he will give it is all. Third would be Lebron James, he is one of the best basketball player’s to ever live and that’s not even what’s impressive about him. The amount of care he shows for his community and his family is something I aspire to be able to do myself one day.