Hello, I am @jrberendzen on Twitter and this is one of my free agent interviews where I ask very deserving free agents questions about the players themselves and about what a team would get in these players. All of these players should get picked up by NFL, CFL, and XFL teams and get a shot at being a career football player. So I hope you all read his interview and follow his journey on Twitter @t_porter59.
1. What sets you apart from other offensive linemen?
-What sets me apart from other offensive linemen is that I’m still so raw and coachable as a player yet I’m still as dominant in the trenches as I am. I didn’t become a full-time offensive lineman until my junior year of college. From being so raw comes versatility as well. I’ve played every position on the Offensive Line and had success at every spot.
2. What do you think are the keys to success on the football field?
-For me the keys to success are consistency, hard work, and harsh indifference. I spent a majority of my football career being doubted and told how much I couldn’t do to make it. But I didn’t care I just worked harder and harder. If I couldn’t do something I found a way to make it happen. You have to keep your blinders up and stay focused because it’s really easy to lose track of the path you want.
3. If you could hang out with any football player past or present for a day who and why?
-I’d absolutely hang out with Cam Newton. The guy is just a workhorse! Also, the outfits are great I could get some style tips and some of the hats too. But the guys seems to workout non stop and has a set routine and he’s committed to it. I’d love to pick his brain on both a football and a business standpoint.
4. What is your favorite workout?
-I like working my position drills the most. Run fits, pass sets, ladders things that can get me better from a technical standpoint. The best part has to be pushing that sled tho. Something about throwing your body into some metal and hard as you can and making it move feels amazing.
5. What made you decide you wanted to be a football player?
-I was an angry kid. I hid it well but I was mad all the time. I was called names and picked on. I was pissed. And my mom being a Dallas Cowboy fan and football dynamo put me into sports to burn it out. But the game she pushed me harder towards was football. She showed me the old Cowboy teams with the Great Wall of Dallas and it was amazing to me. Mike Singletary, Larry Allen, Lawrence Taylor, Junior Seay, Antonio Gates were the guys I watched and wanted to be. I learned how to play angry and the rest was history.
6. What is one skill that you have that you think translates into the NFL well?
-Athleticism & Power. If you see my tape I can run all day. I love to pull, I love to go out on screens and go to the second level. I see the transition of the offensive line in the NFL and they aren’t stationary objects anymore. You have to be able to run and turn that speed to power. You need to be able to get out that stance set the edge against these defensive players that are being faster and faster every year. I think that this is a huge part of my game that translates into the next level.
7. What is your mindset when you are on the football field?
-My mindset when playing is to control the chaos. When the play is coming I need to be a monster, but also a controlled beast. Make a calculated choice and destroy the person in front of me. Playing on the line we are big on being protectors, so for me, I need to protect my guys by any means necessary. The best way is to beat you down and make you quit. But never to the detriment of the team.
8. What are your biggest traits on the football field?
-On the field my biggest trait is confidence. Whatever I do I do it 100%. Even if I have no idea what I’m doing I’m gonna do it with my whole ass and be wrong putting a guy on his back.
9. What are your favorite moments from your football life?
-The first had to be winning my first championship ring in 2019 with the Thonon Black Panthers in France. We went undefeated in the league and even beat one of the best teams in Europe. We ended the season being ranked in the top 10 of Europe. That was one of my favorite teams I’ve been on ever.
10. What would a team get in a player like you?
-They would get a player that knows what it takes to be great. That is a team player and open to play wherever I’m needed. I’ve been the first guy in the building and the last one out. They would get a player that knows what it takes to survive in the trenches. That can give you the ferocity and toughness you need to play this game on a daily basis. In practice, in workouts, in games, I know what it takes and I’ll put 100% into everything I do. You also get a guy with experience, having played 2 dominant professional seasons in Europe against top competition, with a 3rd on the horizon.
11. What do you hope to achieve as a football player going forward?
-I just hope to keep getting better as I go. Playing on better teams, winning more games, increasing competition level, winning championships. I want to be the best player I can possibly be, and put myself in the best position to be noticed to play at the highest level.
12. What role do you hope to have if you make it into the NFL?
-I hope to be a consistent starter. Someone you don’t have to worry won’t get the job done. The guy you can depend on on 4th and goal with the game on the line to handle business and win every battle.
Follow Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
NFL Draft Diamonds
- Last Chance:Giants’ Sam Beal pleads guilty to two gun charges nfldraftdiamonds.com/2021/06/sam-be… #NFL #NFLDraftNews https://t.co/EInXPl4xkd
about 43 mins ago
- Last Chance:NFL Transactions for June 11, 2021 | Workouts, Signings and Roster Cuts nfldraftdiamonds.com/2021/06/nfl-tr… #NFL… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 1 hour ago
- Last Chance:2022 NFL Draft Prospect Interview: Jeremiah Lorick, WR, Wagner College nfldraftdiamonds.com/2021/06/jeremi… #NFL… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 1 hour ago
- Did You See This:Giants’ Sam Beal pleads guilty to two gun charges nfldraftdiamonds.com/2021/06/sam-be… #NFL #NFLDraftNews https://t.co/t50ccouiCu
about 4 hours ago
- Did You See This:NFL Transactions for June 11, 2021 | Workouts, Signings and Roster Cuts nfldraftdiamonds.com/2021/06/nfl-tr…… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 4 hours ago
On the very first podcast of Christopher Dicerbo’s Slightly Personal Podcast, Chris is joined...
By Craig Forrestal In this episode, we get to know Caleb Carter. Together we...
By Craig Forrestal In this episode, we get to know Isaiah Likely. Together we...
By Craig Forrestal In this episode, we get to know Isaiah Chambers. Together we...