By: Justin Kelm
On a fall afternoon in Nacogdoches the Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks welcomed the Pittsburg State Gorillas to Homer Bryce Stadium. The Gorillas made the eight hour trip south to battle the Lumberjacks.
The Gorillas are an NCAA Division II team and in the Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association. Highly favored, the NCAA FCS member Jacks showed no mercy. The Gorillas held their ground at the beginning of the game.
The Jacks drove the ball 60 yards in 15 plays to open the game before settling for a 32-yard field goal from Redshirt kicker Chris Campos. Jacks Junior Quarterback Trae Self added a two-yard touchdown run with six seconds remaining in the first quarter, after the Jacks twice converted on fourth down plays to extend the drive. Self continued to show he’s a stellar leader for the Jacks. A transfer from Butler Community College in 2019 Self continued to make selfless plays. Avoiding an all out blitz from the Gorillas defense, Self danced around and found his wide receiver.
A play that left the crowd in awe. Pitt State struck back with an eight-play, 91-yard drive of its own. Sophomore Quarterback Mak Sexton connected with wide receiver Christian Carter for a 43 yard touchdown to trim the margin to 10-7 with 11:31 remaining in the second quarter. Sexton played his high school football at Cedar Park in Central Texas. He made his return to Texas memorable, but it was not enough as the Jacks went up by 6 at the half. Another field goal by Campos made the score 13 to 7.
The Jacks exploded out of half time and pulled out to a bigger lead. Self tossed a 23-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Xavier Gipson to extend their margin to 20-7. The Gorillas couldn’t handle the Jacks as Self fired a 17-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Remi Simmons in the fourth quarter. The score was 26 to 7 in favor of the Jacks and that’s how the game ended. The Jacks ended their home game schedule undefeated at 4-0. With the win, the Jacks improved to 6-3 while the Gorillas dropped to 1-2.
The Jacks will close out their season on the road against Memphis on Saturday, November 21. The Gorillas will close out their 2020 season next Saturday (Nov. 21)when they travel to Canyon, Texas to face NCAA Division II member West Texas A&M University.
PSU – Passing
SFAFB – Passing
PSU – Rushing
SFAFB – Rushing
PSU – Receiving
SFAFB – Receiving
Follow Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
NFL Draft Diamonds
- Trenchmen’s Corner| Daviyon Nixon Scouting Report | Former CFL scout Dave Van Nett breaks down his game… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 33 mins ago
- Note to NFL teams: Stay away from Trevor Lawrence | Bust chance increases to 90 percent nfldraftdiamonds.com/2021/04/trevor…… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 34 mins ago
- Alabama RB Najee Harris | 2021 NFL Draft Injury Review | Doctor’s Take nfldraftdiamonds.com/2021/04/najee-… #NFL #NFLDraftNews https://t.co/MqILnEnzFq
about 35 mins ago
- Bengals unveiled their New Uniforms | Do you like them? nfldraftdiamonds.com/2021/04/bengal… #NFL #NFLDraftNews https://t.co/X0JoI9RyZO
about 36 mins ago
- Trevor Lawrence’s faith in Jesus Christ is more important than football and it should be nfldraftdiamonds.com/2021/04/jesus-…… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 36 mins ago