It has been almost four years since Cardell Hayes was convicted and charged with the murder of New Orleans Saints defensive end Will Smith. Cardell Hayes will get a new trial.
The Supreme Court decided that Louisiana and Oregon who both had a “split decision convictions” were considered unconstitutional. So what that means is if 10 of the 12 jurors voted the person was guilty of a crime it was enough to find the person guilty.
In December 2016, an Orleans Parish jury voted 10-2 to convict Hayes of manslaughter in the death of Smith and attempted manslaughter in the shooting of Smith’s then wife, Racquel.
Cardell Hayes was sentenced to 25 years in prison after he was found guilty of manslaughter for killing Saints defensive lineman Will Smith.
He was also given a 15 year sentence to run concurrent for attempted manslaughter for trying to hurt Smith’s wife.
He was facing a second-degree murder charge but they instead charged with him manslaughter.
This is going to be interesting if Hayes is able to get off these charges. There were some things that did play in Hayes favor. He did not leave the scene of the incident and Will Smith was 3x over the legal limit.
Follow Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
NFL Draft Diamonds
- Did You See This:Trenchmen’s Corner| Daviyon Nixon Scouting Report | Former CFL scout Dave Van Nett breaks down his… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 41 mins ago
- Did You See This:Alabama RB Najee Harris | 2021 NFL Draft Injury Review | Doctor’s Take nfldraftdiamonds.com/2021/04/najee-…… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 42 mins ago
- Did You See This:Notre Dame OLB Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah is the next Phenomenal Coverage Linebacker says former NFL… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 45 mins ago
- Did You See This:Trenchmen’s Corner| Christian Barmore Scouting Report | Former CFL scout Dave Van Nett breaks down… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 46 mins ago
- Did You See This:Trey Lance’s two pro days mean nothing | Former NFL scout says he is a bust waiting to happen… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 47 mins ago