- Name: Matt McRobert
- Height: 6’1
- Weight: 205
- Position: Punter
- College: Sam Houston State University
- Twitter: @MattMcRobert_
What motivates you to work hard?
- Mum, Dad and my Sister, I just want to make them proud! it’s hard being away from home but seeing them happy through my happiness and success you can’t put words on that. I just want to be the best I can be and I know they’ll support and love me throughout my journey here in America. Making my family proud and happy is a big motivation for me.
Who has been the biggest influence on your life and explain why?
- My Dad. He is my role model and inspiration! If I could be half the man he is I think I would be doing great in life. I would love to be the loving dad and husband that he is! He is so supportive and encouraging and he’s the best father I could have ever wished for.
Do you have any hobbies?
- Working on punting and trying to be the best punter I can possibly so come game time I am able to help my team win games by the way I am able to flip the field and or pin the opposition deep, I take a lot of pride in that.
Take us through game day, how do you prepare?
- Depending on if my parents are here to watch or not I normally call home early in the morning as its already late night time the same day in Australia, so I like to speak to them to start my day. Besides that, nothing special, I just try and stay relaxed and motivated for the game ahead. I like to do visualization leading up to the game thinking of the opportunities I can get and go over in my head how to execute the punts needed.
Who is the most underrated player in the NFL?
- All 32 punters.
What is your biggest fear?
- Letting down my family!
Who is your favourite football team?
- Its 50/50 between Miami Dolphins and Dallas Cowboys, I just think they have the best uniforms in the league so that’s why I support them.
If you could pick any actor to play you in a movie, who are you picking?
- I would have to choose an Australian Actor, probably Chris Hemsworth, he would just need to get some red hair!
What song would you sing at Karaoke night?
- Any Australians karaoke song is Horses by Darryl Braithwaite or Down Under by Men at Work, they’d be the song id sing.
What is your coolest life moment?
- In 2019, I played at home against UIW. The punter for UIW is my best friend Dave Balcomb, we have been best friends since the day we met in high school back in Australia. My Mum, Dad traveled from Australia and was at the game as well as my girlfriend. I don’t think words can describe the feeling I have from the night, it means a lot to me and I have all of us in a picture from that night on a canvas on my wall. It’s by the coolest and most memorable night and a picture of my life. Plus, we won 45-6 which makes it even better.
What is your degree in, if you do not make it as a football player, what is your dream job?
- I have my Bachelor’s and Master’s degree in Sports Management. My dream job would be to use that and work for the Penrith Panthers (NRL Team). They are my favorite sports team and as from when I can remember I have supported them and will always. I would really like the opportunity to work for the Penrith Panthers.
Have you ever had a nickname? What is it?
- The current one I have is ‘Aussie’, I guess it’s obvious as to why!
Check out NFL Draft Diamonds 2021 Small School Rankings
Who is the hardest working teammate on your team?
- The hardest working teammate on our team I believe is Trace Mascarro. He is a powerhouse in the weight room and on the field and I think he is a great talent and has a future in the NFL.
What do your teammates say is your best quality?
- I think they would say it would how unique and different I am. One of my teammates always says to me “if you ain’t foreign you boring” So being Australian I stand out and add a different character to the team which my teammates enjoy, especially the accent seems to be the biggest hit.
What has been your biggest failure?
- I don’t think I have had any failures. Any opportunity comes with risk and reward and if you fail a task you set out for, you’ll only learn and develop to overcome further obstacles if presented in your life later. There is not such a thing as failure, it’s an opportunity to grow and learn.
If you won the lotto, what is the first thing you would do with the money?
- Take my parents and sister on a holiday! The Maldives is a dream holiday destination for me so I think that would be an awesome time to get away with my family as being here in America I don’t see them a lot. A holiday would bring us all together and create a time and memory I would cherish.
When breaking down your film what will stick out?
- I had 29 punts downed inside the 20-yard line and 13 punts downed inside the 10-yard line in the 2019 season. So, I think to me that stands out as I could kick the ball deep and have the punt coverage team stop the ball quite a few times inside the 20 and inside the 10.
What is the best restaurant in your hometown city?
- Well, I am from Australia and if I am to go to a restaurant in my hometown I would have to choose Berowra True Taste. It is not a restaurant but it has the best Chicken Schnitzel Burger as well as Chips (fries) I’ve ever had. In Huntsville, Texas my favorite restaurant is 7 Leguas which is a Mexican Grill.
Follow Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
NFL Draft Diamonds
- Did You See This:NFL Transactions for September 23, 2020; Signings, Roster Cuts and Daily Workouts… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 8 mins ago
- NFL Transactions for September 23, 2020; Signings, Roster Cuts and Daily Workouts nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/09/nfl-tr… #NFL… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 20 mins ago
- Did You See This:2021 NFL Draft Prospect Interview: Jalon Simpson, LB, Olivet Nazarene nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/09/jalon-… #NFL… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 24 mins ago