Hello, I am @jrberendzen on Twitter and this is one of my free agent interviews where I ask very deserving free agents questions about the players themselves and about what a team would get in these players. All of these players should get picked up by NFL and CFL teams and get a shot at being a career football player. So I hope you all read this interview with DaJon Montague. Make sure you follow him on Twitter at @DMont_94
1.If you could hang out with any football player past or present for a day who and why?
- Aaron Donald definitely, He has a tenacious ability to get to the Quarterback. Something I feel, I also have. He has proven his dominance year in, and out. Who is to be considered undersized has never been an issue but and asset. I would definitely see what his ethic is in the gym, on and off the field, and see where I can apply to my game.
2.What are your favorite moments from your football career?
- My very first ever touchdown beats all. It was in my very first ever tackle football game. I was playing DT and it was the first defensive series. I drove the center directly into the QB I jumped right as he is throwing off a falling backward stance i swat it with one hand and catch it running it back about 40 yards for a touchdown. We lost that game 14-7, but after that exact play I knew football was going to be my career.
3.What is your mindset when you are on the football field?
- My mentality once I hit those lines is purely a dawg like mentality. For a lack of better terms it is kill or be killed for me. Your opponent is skilled and has attempted to strategically out smart you. That is a slap in my face if any opponent thinks they can contain me. So I take things personal that shouldn’t be and make it a mission where failure isn’t an option and to obtain every objective set for that game by the team and me personally.
4.If you were on an island and could only have three things which three things would you have?
- #1 a knife or machete that would be essential in any survival handbook. #2 first aid kit, first aid will be completely top of the priority list. #3 anything i can use to make fire, lighter or maybe a magnifying glass definitely. The rest I can probably build and adapt.
5.What do you hope to accomplish if you make it into the NFL?
- Honestly To be one of the best at my position. But i also want my story to be heard to all the ones that come after me. The ones who may mot have all the support or size but has everything else it takes. The ones that will never take No for an answer just like me.
6.What is your favorite dinner?
- Nothing beats chicken quesadillas with rice on the side. But meatloaf and potatoes come in a hard 2nd place.
7.If your life was a tv show what would you call it and why?
- It would be called Still Standing. Based on every obstacle Ive had every bump in the road, every set back just never broke me and all i did was never quit. Still standing makes you think of someone who shouldn’t be… but still is which is a outstanding observation in it self. Exactly how i feel about my career up to this point. Still Standing.
8.What made you decide you wanted to be a football player?
- My most memorable football memory stated above, first play first game of tackle football and I take over and score a touchdown from DT. It was easily my green light and the rest is history.
9.What do you do for fun?
- I love to workout and watch movies. I’m a huge movie buff. I actually plan on getting into acting after my playing days so stay tuned. I also enjoy cooking so culinary could be in the future as well.
10.What would a team get in a player like you?
- First a team player, someone who actively and consistently contributes to their teammates in order to successfully complete objectives, meet goals, and manage their off, and on the field image in the highest regard of the team. I will actively listen to my coaches and teammates, respect ideas and aim to improve myself and those around me. A guy who will understand that their team’s success is their own success, and they share responsibility when their team experiences difficulties along the way. A real team guy that wants to be a perfectionist.
11.If you could live anywhere in the world where and why?
- I would say California or Seattle. I have visited both places and I honestly believe just the vibe out there is different. I believe the west coast bleeds success. You have everything from beaches to Hollywood, to the best schools and universities. Not to mention the food is out of this world.
12.If you were an animal which animal would you be and why?
- I would say a Eagle, one of the most significant animals in the U.S. its meaning is symbolic above all. Its significance shows life, they are natural leaders, and ruler of the skies. They hunt for opportune moments and keep watch over the land below. I’d think that close represents myself.