As you know I am a huge small school football fan, and I thought it would be interesting to break down the NFL Draft pertaining to small school football players. What is a small school football player? Well, I am glad you asked because first we need to know what I consider a small school football players. If you play in NAIA, Division 2, Division 3, or the FCS which is 1AA, then our site considers you a small school prospect. I put pen to paper to find out how many small schoolers have been drafted in the past 10 years being that the 2020 NFL Draft just concluded. I think it is important to see the numbers because there was a huge decrease this year due to coronavirus.
Over the past 10 years, only 246 players were drafted. In those ten years, some cool facts is the highest pick was Carson Wentz who was drafted 2nd overall, while there has only been one Mr. Irrelevant which was Tim Toone back in the day.
Here is how the Draft broke down over the past 10 years, let’s have some fun.
- 2010 – 24 small schoolers drafted
- 2011 – 27 small schoolers drafted
- 2012 – 22 small schoolers drafted
- 2013 – 30 small schoolers drafted
- 2014 – 26 small schoolers drafted
- 2015 – 20 small schoolers drafted
- 2016 – 25 small schoolers drafted
- 2017 – 21 small schoolers drafted
- 2018 – 24 small schoolers drafted
- 2019 – 18 small schoolers drafted
- 2020 – 9 small schoolers drafted
The 10 year average is roughly 22 players per year. That means this past draft was way under average. I am sure the coronavirus played a huge role in that. Which position is drafted the most in those past ten years? That is a good question as well, so let’s break it down by positions.
- Quarterbacks – 8
- Running backs – 12
- Fullbacks – 3
- Wide Receivers – 25
- Tight Ends – 11
- Offensive Lineman – 55
- Defensive Lineman – 49
- Linebackers – 21
- Defensive Backs – 59
- Kickers, Punters, Longsnappers – 3
As you can see you have the best luck being an offensive lineman, a defensive back or a defensive lineman at getting drafted. Quarterbacks are a rare position drafted overall. It is very hard for small schoolers to get drafted. So many kids are currently sitting at home with their heads down, but we are trying to tell you to pick your head up. It is not easy, but it is not impossible either. Let’s look at which round has the best luck of a small schooler getting drafted.
- 1st Round – 2
- 2nd Round – 18
- 3rd Round — 26
- 4th Round – 39
- 5th Round – 39
- 6th Round – 47
- 7th Round – 75
You may have prospects being told they are first round picks, or family members telling them they will be drafted high, listen you have to be a special player. Only 2 kids Tytus Howard and Carson Wentz were drafted in the first round in the past 11 years. That is from 2010 NFL Draft until 2020. I am not trying to pee in your Cheerios, but it is really hard to get drafted in the first round. This year 2 small schoolers were taken in the second round and that is more than average. I thought this would be a fun little breakdown, because I know small schoolers are at a disadvantage but this should help you realize just how big that disadvantage is.
There are 255 selections in the NFL Draft, if you multiply that by 11 you end up with 2,805 players drafted in the past 11 years. So from 2010-2020, 2,805 players were selected in the NFL Draft minus a few Supplemental Draft picks taken. Out of those 2,805 players, only 246 were small schoolers. That is just 11 percent. So when someone says you are a draft pick remember this, you have an 11 percent chance of being drafted. That is the best way to break it down.
Shoot, don’t get your head down though, at least you have 11 percent, many people sitting behind a computer screen reading this or criticizing your game is more than likely in a way small percentile group. God Bless You and stay strong small schoolers!
Follow Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
NFL Draft Diamonds
- Hey @gmfb get at me I’m serious I know @MarquetteKing would love to come on! @KyleBrandt @nateburleson @PSchrags… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 10 mins ago
- Hey @KyleBrandt we need to get my boy @MarquetteKing on @gmfb We can make it happen! Let’s Do this! We need to fin… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 12 mins ago
- ICYMI:2021 NFL Draft Prospect: Seth Williams, WR, Auburn University nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/12/seth-w… #NFL #NFLDraftNews https://t.co/JIbYfhl6ln
about 19 mins ago
- Steelers C Maurkice Pouncey will not play today, he was placed on the COVID-19 list nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/12/maurki… #NFL… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 22 mins ago
- NFL Transactions for December 2, 2020, Daily Workouts, Signings, and Roster Cuts nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/12/nfl-tr… #NFL… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 25 mins ago