Free Agency in 2020 has been really slow. There have been some really good signings but there have also been some insane contracts. Some players really cashed in when I feel they shouldn’t have. Don’t get me wrong, I understand it is the market but these contracts for these performances are rough. Let’s take a look at the top five worst contracts in free agency.
5. Jimmy Graham, TE, Chicago Bears – Do not get me wrong, Jimmy is a Hall of Famer, but he received a 2 year contract worth 16 million. That is 8 million a season. His production is constantly declining. Last season with the Packers he caught 38 receptions which was his worst season since 2010 which was his rookie year. Hopefully, Graham can rebound but age is not on his side.
4. Randall Cobb, WR, Houston Texans – I do not know what the Texans were thinking. I love Randall Cobb, but I do not love that contract for a 29 year old wide out. He shined last year with the Cowboys having a solid season but the Texans lost DeAndre Hopkins and replaced him with an aging vet. They also paid him 27 million for three years. That is a ton of bank for an aging vet.
3. James Bradberry, CB, New York Giants – I love him as a player. He is one of the nicest kids, and I am not mad at him for collecting his bag, but I do not think he is a top 5 cornerback in the NFL. He is now making 14.5 million dollars per year which is more than Patrick Peterson. The crazy thing is his signed a three year deal wroth 44 million and if he balls out he will be 29 going into free agency again to land another huge contract. He did his thing on this deal, I am just hoping he can hold up on his end of the bargain, because New York Media is vicious.
2. Joe Schobert, LB, Jacksonville Jaguars – I know he is a tackling machine, I get it, but Joe Schobert is getting paid now like as a top 10 linebacker. He had a solid couple years but he will be getting more than Blake Martinez who had better stats than him three years in a row. I feel the Jaguars overpaid on this one. With them losing all their defensive lineman up front, I am not sure Schobert is going to be able to help them with his 5 year, 53,750,000 dollar deal.
1, Byron Jones, CB, Miami Dolphins – Jones landed a 5 year deal worth 82,500,000 dollars. Are you kidding me? Since 2016, Jones production has went down every year, as he gets a year older annually. Jones finished last season with 46 tackles and has not had an interception in 2 years. He has 2 career interceptions and the Dolphins paid him 82.5 million? I am not dogging him, he took them to the bank, but he has not performed.
Follow Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
NFL Draft Diamonds
- ICYMI:2021 NFL Draft Prospect Interview: Dontè Simmons, RB, Delaware Valley University nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/06/donte-… #NFL… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 45 mins ago
- Imagine if all the 5 star athletes committed to HBCU schools? - nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/06/hbcu-4/ @HBCUDigest @HBCUGameday… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 52 mins ago
- ICYMI:2021 NFL Draft Prospect Interview: Eric Barriere Jr., QB, Eastern Washington nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/06/eric-b… #NFL… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 56 mins ago
- 2021 NFL Draft Prospect Interview: Bryan Mills, CB, North Carolina Central University - nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/06/bryan-…… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 60 mins ago
- 2021 NFL Draft Prospect Interview: Mason Sikes, TE, Boise State University - nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/06/mason-… @masonsikes22… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 1 hour ago