The XFL is unique, and they need to utilize their power right now in their first year while they have it. The NFL makes their money off of the college players, but the XFL has a way to strong arm the league by stealing their best talent. How can this happen though?
The XFL does not have the same eligibility requirements for players as the NFL. Currently the NFL requires all players to be at least 3 years removed from high school to be eligible for a team’s roster. Almost all prospects then participate in NCAA football for the 3-year waiting period. This eligibility requirement is an agreement between the NCAA and the NFL.
The NFL, in exchange for not signing young players who would ordinarily play in the NCAA, is allowed nearly unlimited access to scout and recruit college players.
With the XFL not using the same set of requirements for players, there is the possibility the league will sign players who are less than 3 years out of high school. The XFL has also not ruled out signing players who play college football in 2019, something the NFL has not done since 1925, which Oliver Luck says will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
So think about this, imagine next year the 2021 NFL Draft we all know the quarterback everyone will be talking about is Trevor Lawrence. Imagine, if the XFL went out and signed Lawrence, then went out and signed five star quarterback Caleb Williams who has yet to commit to a college. This would be strong arming the NFL and the NCAA, and it would make things very interesting.
The USFL made such a big splash back in the day because they took stars like Jim Kelly, and Herschel Walker. The XFL has the ability to strong-arm and they have the funds behind Vince McMahon to make this happen. Do you think this move would make it more interesting? Let’s be honest would you tune in?
Follow Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
NFL Draft Diamonds
- Last Chance:2013 NFL Re-Draft: What if the Chiefs would have taken DeAndre Hopkins over Eric Fisher?… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 22 mins ago
- Last Chance:Jaycee Horn Scouting Report | 2021 NFL Draft Prospect | South Carolina DB nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/10/jaycee… #NFL… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 27 mins ago
- Did You See This:NFL Transactions for October 30, 2020|Daily Workouts, Signings, and Roster Cuts… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 32 mins ago
- Did You See This:Fantasy Doctors: Week 8 Injury Update nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/10/week-8… #NFL #NFLDraftNews https://t.co/JPvJ9bOQS5
about 54 mins ago
- Last Chance:Should the Nebraska Cornhuskers go Independent? nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/10/nebras… #NFL #NFLDraftNews https://t.co/N4Q8WP6FyA
about 55 mins ago