- Name: Jonathan Mathis
- Height: 6010
- Weight: 220
- Position: LB/SS
- College: Morehouse College
- Twitter: @jonmat2016
Tell us about your hometown, and what you love most about it?
• My hometown is Lithonia Georgia, pretty small and most people don’t know about it until I say it’s close to Decatur or east of Atlanta. What I love about it is that it’s away from the city and there isn’t much to do around there keeps a lot of people out of trouble.
List these three in order of importance and why: Film Study, Strength and Conditioning and Practice?
• I would list film study, strength and conditioning and then practice. Everything works together, if you watch the other team and how they play you could see their strengths and weaknesses to see what type of adjustments necessary in the weight room then you put it together and practice it.
What do you worry about, and why?
• I worry about my mom a lot, I know it’s a lot of stress on her and I try my best to do what I can to help her in anyway possible. Seeing her watching my dad go through with his disease is really tough on her and draining.
Give me an example of when you failed at something. How did you react and how did you overcome failure?
• When I was in the 10th grade I received a project to make a car that rolls by itself with a balloon. Unfortunately, I procrastinated and waited until the night before. Because of my decision to wait last minute, this caused me to panic. Finally, I figured it out and ended presented the best project that my teacher had seen in class.
What do your teammates say is your best quality?
• My teammates would say my best quality is my leadership role, a lot of people come to me for advice and look up to me.
Who is the best player you have ever played against in college?
• The best player I played against was a running back from Kentucky State his name was Brett. He was hard to tackle, he was short and just running through everybody tackles. Even though we won he was a problem.
What would your career be if you couldn’t play football?
• Something that has to do with IT. My major is computer science so if football can’t work out then that’s my plan.
Room, desk and car – which do you clean first?
• I would start small and work my way up so it would be desk, room and then car.
If there was a disaster and you could either save three strangers or one family member, which would you choose and why?
• I would definitely save a family member because family means the world to me.
If you could be any television or movie character, who would you be and why?
• I would definitely say Iron Man because he’s my favorite superhero. He’s smart and leads.
Tell me about your biggest adversity in life and how you’ve dealt with or overcome it?
• I would say my dad having Alzheimer’s. He was my #1 supporter in the sport I love. Seeing him go through this and not being able to talk to him is heartbreaking. Even when he had it early on he couldn’t drive but he would always find a way to show himself at my high school games. I just know he’s always with me in my heart traveling with me to all my games, sitting in the crowd watching me play.
What is your most embarrassing moment?
• One time in calculus class we had to do a problem and everyone answers were remotely close to the actual answer and mine was completely off and I yelled out my answer because I really thought I was right.
What was the most memorable play of your collegiate career?
• My sophomore year at Morehouse I wasn’t cleared to play until mid-season and homecoming was the first game I dressed and it was the 3rd quarter and we were losing, coach put me in and first play I forced a fumble and we got the ball back and that changed the momentum of the game, even though we still lost we went into overtime and lost then.
What song best describes your work ethic?
• Stronger- Kanye West
What is the most important trait you can have (Physical or Non-Physical) to help you succeed at the next level?
• My football IQ I’m able to see formations and see the plays before they happen.
If you could bring one person back from the dead for one day, who would it be and why?
• My coach at Reinhardt named coach Moses. Out of high school I didn’t have any offers I almost gave up and would have never went to college. He gave me a chance and offered me in late March of 2016 after signing day. He was the only coach who believed in my ability to play football and he died at a young age.
If you were to open a dance club, what would you name it?
Who is the most underrated player in the NFL?
• Kevin Byard safety from the Titans. He has a nose for the ball and always finds a way to make a play and he went to the same the high school as me.
Would you rather be liked or respected, and why?
• I would rather be respected because it’s earned and not given.
What player who had his career derailed by off-field issues do you feel for the most and why?
• Colin Kaepernick, he was a great football player and the reason he isn’t playing right now is unacceptable.
Do you love to win, or hate to lose?
• Love to win and I don’t think I can hate to lose because losing humbles you and it makes you learn from your mistakes.
Who has been the biggest influence on your life and explain why?
• My dad has the biggest influence on my life and will always have the biggest influence because he introduced me to sport I love and know. He is the reason I made it this far and I plan on making even further.
Follow Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
NFL Draft Diamonds
- ICYMI:2022 NFL Draft Prospect Interview: Kyle Nuñez, OL, Stony Brook University nfldraftdiamonds.com/2021/06/kyle-n… #NFL… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 1 hour ago
- ICYMI:NFL Transactions for June 15, 2021 | Daily Workouts, Roster Cuts, and Signings nfldraftdiamonds.com/2021/06/transa… #NFL… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 2 hours ago
- Did You See This:2022 NFL Draft Prospect Interview: Le’Vonte Larry, DB, Savannah State University… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 2 hours ago
On the very first podcast of Christopher Dicerbo’s Slightly Personal Podcast, Chris is joined...
By Craig Forrestal In this episode, we get to know Caleb Carter. Together we...
By Craig Forrestal In this episode, we get to know Isaiah Likely. Together we...
By Craig Forrestal In this episode, we get to know Isaiah Chambers. Together we...