- Name: De’Lon C. Barnes
- Height: 5’11
- Weight: 186
- Position: Defensive Back(Corner, Nickleback & Strong Safety)
- College: Manchester University
- Twitter: @KINGLONNN
Tell us about your hometown, and what you love most about it?
• My hometown is South Central Los Angeles, Crenshaw District to be specific and I grew up on 42nd Street & 2nd avenue. Growing up in LA is the city of testing your character and rather you’re going to make a name for yourself or get caught up in the scandalous “LA” life which for me involves beating gang violence and poverty. What I love most about my hometown are the array of different cultures of food.
List these three in order of importance and why: Film Study, Strength and Conditioning and Practice?
• Strength & Conditioning is first because it starts at home, at the base and if your not built for this then you won’t make it far in sports. Practice is second because going to practice allows you to hold yourself and teammates accountable and practice breeds excellence. Film Study is third but this doesn’t mean it’s not important because it is one of the most important tools in gaining an advantage and knowledge on your opponents tendencies.
What do you worry about, and why?
• I do not worry about anything because I know God will handle all my worries and I must keep faith.
Give me an example of when you failed at something. How did you react and how did you overcome failure?
• An example of me failing something would be when I failed my Geometry class in the 10th grade in high school. I was shocked because math is my favorite subject and when I met Geometry, it was the hardest obstacle I faced and made me resent math but I overcame it, retook the class next semester and passed it with a C+.
What do your teammates say is your best quality?
• My teammates would say my best quality is my high quality work ethic because I am the hardest worker in every room I enter and refuse to be outworked.
Who is the best player you have ever played against in college?
• The best player I’ve ever played against in college is Lamar Carswell of Trine University.
What would your career be if you couldn’t play football?
• If I couldn’t play football my career would be an Entrepreneur, creating and owning a sports training facility, clothing line and a restaurant.
Room, desk and car – which do you clean first?
• My room is first because that is where I lay my head everyday and you don’t crap where you sleep and one of my role models, Nipsey Hussle once said “Yeah this your life you can play with it, You make your bed you gone lay in it.” My car is second because a man’s car represents him and a dirty car let alone a dirty anything will represent you bad. My desk is third because I can deal with a dirty desk in the meantime but not a dirty room or car.
If there was a disaster and you could either save three strangers or one family member, which would you choose and why?
• Forgive me but if there was a disaster and I could either save three strangers or one family member, I am saving my family member because to me family is everything.
If you could be any television or movie character, who would you be and why?
• If I could be any television or movie character It would be Denzel Washington because he is my favorite actor and I like how he always plays powerful characters and is a very insightful person.
Tell me about your biggest adversity in life and how you’ve dealt with or overcome it?
• My biggest adversity in life was when my father was diagnosed with colon cancer in 2015, it was the hardest obstacle I’ve ever faced in my life. But I kept my faith in the doctors and in God most importantly, as I slept next to him every night in my put together bed made from chairs. I stuck by his side every single day and never left until it was removed and he was healthy.
What is your most embarrassing moment?
• My most embarrassing moment would have to be when I slipped and fell walking to class in the snow my freshman year of college.
What was the most memorable play of your collegiate career?
• My most memorable play of my collegiate career was my first ever interception in my Senior Day/Bronze Ball game versus Anderson Univ. The referees ruled my interception incomplete for hitting the ground but I know I caught it.
What song best describes your work ethic?
• Nipsey Hussle x Grindin’ All My Life
What is the most important trait you can have (Physical or Non-Physical) to help you succeed at the next level?
• The most important trait you can have that’ll help you succeed at the next level is a resilient positive mindset. Not a lot of people realize that sports isn’t just a physical battle but mental, it involves a lot of emotion and passion. You may not understand everything first hand but with the willingness to learn, adapt and the right mindset you can achieve anything and overcome any obstacle.
If you could bring one person back from the dead for one day, who would it be and why?
• If I could bring one person back from the dead for one day, I would bring back my oldest brother D’Ancee who passed away at the age of three before I was born and I would’ve loved to meet and have a relationship with him.
If you were to open a dance club, what would you name it?
• If I were to open a dance club, the name of it would be The GT.
Who is the most underrated player in the NFL?
• The most underrated player in the NFL is Emmanuel Moseley right now, a defensive back for the 49ers with great feet, technique and discipline, definitely a young and future playmaker for the 49ers.
Would you rather be liked or respected, and why?
• I’d rather be respected over liked any day because being respected is earned through a reputation of value you create for yourself, where being liked isn’t needed to succeed but more of a popularity contest. I don’t care to be liked because people could dislike you over anything but when you’re respected people could not like you but they’ll still respect you.
What player who had his career derailed by off-field issues do you feel for the most and why?
• A player who had his career derailed by off-field issues I feel for the most is Johnny Manziel, great player and would have loved to see him succeed in the NFL.
Do you love to win, or hate to lose?
• I hate to lose more than I love to win.
Who has been the biggest influence on your life and explain why?
• My Mom and Dad are my biggest influence on my life because I’ve seen both them overcome any obstacle that hindered them from providing for their kids like struggling financially, physically and mentally exhausted and not knowing how their going to keep a roof over my brothers and I head but one thing for certain is that no matter what they bent but never broke. I’ve seen both my parents hustle and have no excuses because we all have the same 24 hours in a day, but it’s up to you how you use them. Their the reason I use my 24 hours everyday to help me succeed because not many of us make it out the streets of south central LA and I’m blessed to be a living example of greatness with much more to achieve.