After hearing his name called in the NFL Draft, Corey Ballentine the small school cornerback from Washburn was shot shortly after with his friend and former Dwane Simmons who unfortunately did not make it.
An 18 year old man was arrested for the shooting and is facing seven felony counts, including murder in the 1st degree.
Francisco Alejandro Mendez (18) is being held on
Simmons and Ballentine, teammates at Washburn University, were shot while walking home from a party in Topeka, hours after the Giants selected Ballentine in the sixth round of the NFL draft.
Simmons, 23, did not survive. Ballentine was shot in the backside and spent several days in the hospital.
Ballentine, will make a full recovery from the shooting but this is crazy to think a young man is willing to throw it all away for nothing.
NFL Draft Diamonds
- Did You See This:NFL Players Who Retired Too Early nfldraftdiamonds.com/2019/08/retire… #NFL #NFLDraftNews https://t.co/3D2cPmPLNV
about 33 mins ago via Damond Talbot Wp Twitt Pro
- Did You See This:2020 NFL Draft Prospect Interview: Kaleb Fossum, WR, University of Nevada, Reno… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 50 mins ago via Damond Talbot Wp Twitt Pro
- Did You See This:Diamond Talk: Isiah Swann, DB, Dartmouth | Big Green’s Bright Spot nfldraftdiamonds.com/2019/08/isiah-… #NFL… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 1 hour ago via Damond Talbot Wp Twitt Pro
- ICYMI:NFL Transactions for August 19, 2019 nfldraftdiamonds.com/2019/08/nfl-tr… #NFL #NFLDraftNews https://t.co/SXnH8EgYFD
about 3 hours ago via Damond Talbot Wp Twitt Pro
- Dang the big guy went in twitter.com/thescore/statu…
about 3 hours ago via Twitter for iPhone