- Name:: Matthew Castner
- Height: 6’2″
- Weight: 300
- Position: Guard and Center
- College: Cumberlands
Tell us about your hometown, and what you love most about it?
• I was born in Florida but grew up in a suburb north of Atlanta. Since high school graduation, I live in Cocoa Beach Florida when I am not in school. Growing up north of Atlanta was a great experience. Truly the best part of being in the Atlanta area is the quality of youth and high school football. I was very fortunate to have a lot of incredibly great youth coaches and attended Blessed Trinity High School in Roswell GA. I owe a lot to BT and the coaches at BT. We played in the state championship my senior season and playing in the GA Dome was a great experience.
List these three in order of importance and why: Film Study, Strength and Conditioning and Practice?
• Strength and Conditioning – helps build mental and physical strength/toughness
Film – Film allows me to see myself and what is working and what I need to focus on to get better. The film allows me to see the other O-linemen and see how we are working as a unit. The film allows me to see my opponent and provides me with his tendencies and his weaknesses, etc.
What do you worry about, and why?
• I worry about a lot about failure and yet I am a very confident individual. I think that is why I try and outwork everyone on the field; in the weight room and in the classroom. I never want to be unprepared and always want to put myself and my team in the best position to win. I love to win – I hate losing. I am very competitive.
Give me an example of when you failed at something. How did you react and how did you overcome failure?
• Every failure whether it be personal or a team failure motivates me to work harder – smarter – and longer.
What do your teammates say is your best quality?
• My work ethic and hopefully the example I set as a leader on the team.
Who is the best player you have ever played against in college?
• Teon Burroughs from Reinhardt. He is a very good DT and he gave me a challenge, but I handled him.
What would your career be if you couldn’t play football?
• I will be graduating college a semester early with a double major (business and Christian studies) and if football at the next level does not materialize I will focus on business and being an entrepreneur.
Room, desk, and car – which do you clean first?
• Room – I spend the majority of my time in my room so I want it to be very clean.
If there was a disaster and you could either save three strangers or one family member, which would you choose and why?
• Family member – Family First ALWAYS!
If you could be any television or movie character, who would you be and why?
• Tony Soprano – he was an effective leader though he did use unconventional methods to lead and I like the fact that he never backed down.
Tell me about your biggest adversity in life and how you’ve dealt with or overcome it?
• My parent’s divorce in elementary school. It brought my father and me closer together as I lived with him from the latter part of middle school and high school. He was and is actively involved in my life and is a great example for me.
What is your most embarrassing moment?
• I really do not recall an embarrassing moment. I can laugh at myself so I do not really get embarrassed.
What was the most memorable play of your collegiate career?
• Actually, it will happen this coming season when we take a knee to end the game and win the NAIA championship – that will be the play that I will remember forever and will not have even drive a DT off the line.
What song best describes your work ethic?
• Devastated by Joey BadA$$
What is the most important trait you can have (Physical or Non-Physical) to help you succeed at the next level?
• The ultra-competitiveness that fuels me to work harder than everyone else.
If you could bring one person back from the dead for one day, who would it be and why?
• Ray Kroc – founder of McDonald’s. I read the book “Grinding it out” which details how he started McDonald’s and how he differentiated himself from other entrepreneurs.
If you were to open a dance club, what would you name it?
• Cocoa Cabana – I like the name and I live with my father in Cocoa Beach when not at school
Who is the most underrated player in the NFL?
• Shaq Mason RG for the Patriots. He is only 6’1″ and he handles his business. I was glad to see him sign a huge contract this year.
Would you rather be liked or respected, and why?
• Respected – you earn respect through your actions, words and execution.
What player who had his career derailed by off-field issues do you feel for the most and why?
• Michael Vick – One of the greatest talents ever to play in the NFL. I do not condone what he did – but public opinion played a large part in him being sentenced for 3 years and spending 2 years in prison. I believe his fame and notoriety played a part with his excessive sentence – but I do think this failure made him a better man when he emerged from prison.
Do you love to win, or hate to lose?
• Hate to lose. Winning is awesome but it is fleeting…losing gnaws away at my soul.
Who has been the biggest influence on your life and explain why?
•My Father – he is my best friend and my mentor. He is very successful and he taught me about honesty, loyalty, work ethic, perseverance, and leadership.
Follow Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
NFL Draft Diamonds
- Did You See This:Von Miller can’t possibly hit the open market… right? nfldraftdiamonds.com/2021/01/von-mi… #NFL #NFLDraftNews https://t.co/CKxoXW4W8O
about 45 mins ago
- Did You See This:Did Atlanta Falcons do Raheem Morris dirty? nfldraftdiamonds.com/2021/01/raheem… #NFL #NFLDraftNews https://t.co/kvdsQl1lUE
about 54 mins ago
- Did You See This:Four NFL Head Coaching candidates that should have been hired, but are still waiting… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 59 mins ago
- Last Chance:Seahawks executive Scott Fitterer hired as Carolina Panthers GM nfldraftdiamonds.com/2021/01/scott-… #NFL… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 1 hour ago
- Did You See This:New York Jets hire Mike LaFleur as new offensive coordinator nfldraftdiamonds.com/2021/01/mike-l… #NFL… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 1 hour ago