- Name: John Singleton
- Height: 6’4
- Weight: 245
- Position: DE
- College: Gardner-Webb
- Twitter: @singletonjohn23
Tell us about your hometown, and what you love most about it?
• I come from a small town outside of the triangle area. I love how quiet it is but also how close it is to so many things to do. It’s a perfect balance.
List these three in order of importance and why: Film Study, Strength and Conditioning and Practice?
• Film Study, Practice, Strength & Conditioning. Film study can help you understand your opponent and also the mistakes that you made in games or practices. Using film is a good way to understand what techniques you need to work on and how to correct these mistakes. Practice is where you apply all of the stuff you’ve learned on film about your opponent that week. Also where you practice your techniques and get the necessary reps to perform at the highest level come Saturday. I put Strength & Conditioning last because I’ve learned that you don’t always have to be the strongest to succeed. Football is a game of technique so if you master them, then you will succeed. That being said, it is still very important and I always work my hardest in the weight room to improve my strength and conditioning.
What do you worry about, and why?
• Failure, my biggest goal in life is to succeed and I’ll do anything possible to achieve that. I guess you could call me a perfectionist.
Give me an example of when you failed at something. How did you react and how did you overcome failure?
• I would say I failed my team during my senior year in the semi-finals of the state playoffs. We lost 17-14 in overtime and that game the opposing team converted two fake punts to my side of the field. After the game, I was defeated mentally. I was invited to the NC-SC Shrine bowl game and went to represent my school, Middle Creek. With a 5-star OLB starting in front of me I didn’t have as many opportunities in the game as I would have liked. With that being said, I ended the game with 3 tackles, a sack, and an interception to help lead the NC team to a 17-10 victory.
What do your teammates say is your best quality?
Who is the best player you have ever played against in college?
• Reggie White Jr. from Monmouth University
What would your career be if you couldn’t play football?
• Financial Manager
Room, desk, and car – which do you clean first?
• Car, Room, Desk
If there was a disaster and you could either save three strangers or one family member, which would you choose and why?
• One family member because I don’t think I could live with myself if I let a family member die.
If you could be any television or movie character, who would you be and why?
• Jon Snow, he’s just a great guy and always tries to do the right thing even when dealing with adversity.
Tell me about your biggest adversity in life and how you’ve dealt with or overcome it?
• I’d say my biggest adversity would be losing both of my grandparents at a young age. I was very close with them so not having them see me grow-up is sad. Now I try to treat people with respect and enjoy the time that I have with my friends and family because you never know when somebody’s life can be taken.
What is your most embarrassing moment?
• Throwing up my first day of middle school because I was so nervous. Didn’t even make it off the bus in the morning.
What was the most memorable play of your collegiate career?
• Getting a sack against Appalachian State before the first half ended.
What song best describes your work ethic?
• DJ Drama- My Moment
What is the most important trait you can have (Physical or Non-Physical) to help you succeed at the next level?
• Aggression, I think being an undersized defensive lineman that being aggressive is an important trait. It shows that I’m ready for a battle and that I’m going to bring it every play.
If you could bring one person back from the dead for one day, who would it be and why?
• My grandfather. He died when I was a baby so I never got to know him. If he was back for one day I would like to learn about his life, find out his hobbies, and just spend time with him.
If you were to open a dance club, what would you name it?
• Club Groovy
Who is the most underrated player in the NFL?
• Akiem Hicks. The man is a beast and often gets over-shadowed by Khalil Mack.
Would you rather be liked or respected, and why?
• Liked. I try to be nice to everybody and I often tend to care what other people think of me.
What player who had his career derailed by off-field issues do you feel for the most and why?
• Johnny Manziel. I feel for him because if he had better guidance off of the field then I think he could have been a really good and entertaining QB in the NFL.
Do you love to win, or hate to lose?
• Hate to lose
Who has been the biggest influence on your life and explain why?
• My mother, she has been my biggest supporter and my shoulder to lean on when thing’s to go wrong. She always knows the right thing to do and is always teaching me what’s right and setting a good example. Also, she is a very hard worker along with my father which set’s a good example.