• Name: Jamie Cumberbatch
• Height: 5’11
• Weight: 210
• Position: DB/ATH
• College: Gallaudet University
• Twitter: @JCIsland2
Tell us about your hometown, and what you love most about it?
• My hometown is Clinton, MD and I love all the close friends and extended family I’ve made over my years living there.
List these three in order of importance and why: Film Study, Strength and Conditioning and Practice?
• Strength & conditioning, film study, & practice. I say this because footfall is a violent sport so you must make sure your body is ready for war before you step on the field. Film study is second because studying yourself/opponent before practicing can eliminate errors such as overthinking once you know what you’re up against vs going into the situation blind. Properly preparing will allow for a smoother transition into practicing essential skills & interests.
What do you worry about, and why?
• I am a firm believer in giving my worries to God so I eliminate this from my daily life on a consistent basis through prayer.
Give me an example of when you failed at something. How did you react and how did you overcome failure?
• My junior year I set out to make all conference. I didn’t reach my goal but my reaction was to just grind harder and I feel as though I overcame that failure by understanding some statistics don’t always help you achieve all conference as they are overlooked.
What do your teammates say is your best quality?
• I am an energetic leader whose work ethic is relentless
Who is the best player you have ever played against in college?
• I would have to say John Smith who played at Husson University
What would your career be if you couldn’t play football?
• I would be a personal trainer/gym owner
Room, desk, and car – which do you clean first?
• Room because if your base of operations is a mess how can anything else get put together correctly?
If there was a disaster and you could either save three strangers or one family member, which would you choose and why?
• If there was a way to save all 4 by sacrificing myself I would, but ultimately I’d save my family member first
If you could be any television or movie character, who would you be and why?
• I would be Neo from the Matrix because his powers once he took the pill were very cool to me and he ultimately came out on top
Tell me about your biggest adversity in life and how you’ve dealt with or overcome it?
• I feel like my biggest adversity in life was getting injured going into my senior year of HS. I missed half my senior season and all of the division 1 schools that were interested in me stopped contacting me completely. At the end of my season I overcame it by attending a showcase and getting an offer from a division 2 school in order to continue my football career.
What is your most embarrassing moment?
• When I went bowling one time I ripped my pants and had to walk around like that for the next 2/3 hours
What was the most memorable play of your collegiate career?
• It would either be taking a fumble recovery 97 yards for a TD or running from hash to hash to deliver a big hit on a RB that sent him flying from the hash mark to out of bounds.
What song best describes your work ethic?
• Blood, Sweat, Tears by Future
What is the most important trait you can have (Physical or Non-Physical) to help you succeed at the next level?
• My knowledge of the game, a lot of players have the physical traits but can’t handle understanding the complexities of next level football.
If you could bring one person back from the dead for one day, who would it be and why?
• I would bring back my grandfather so I could soak up wisdom and knowledge from him & so he can be proud of the young man I’ve become
If you were to open a dance club, what would you name it?
Who is the most underrated player in the NFL?
• I think Derwin James, he can play the entire back 7 an athlete like that is a great weapon for a defense and it’s scheme
Would you rather be liked or respected, and why?
• Respected, because somebody can like you and still disrespect you, but if you’re respected you will not be seen as someone to be tried.
What player who had his career derailed by off-field issues do you feel for the most and why?
• Josh Gordon, he’s battled drug addiction and mental health for all of his career and had to step away from the game during his prime years. I hope he can come back one day and showcase his talents
Do you love to win, or hate to lose?
• Hate to lose, that’s a feeling that sticks with you well after the clock hits 0.
Who has been the biggest influence on your life and explain why?
• I would say my father because ever since I started playing football he was there for me coaching my teams and then being there in the stands while always being one of my harshest critics. He’s kept my head on straight all these years.