- Malique Johnson
- University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB)
- Twitter: @MaliBallin
2018 Accolades & Statistics
- Gave up on 1 sack out of 13 games in 2018.
- Conference USA champion.
- Boca Raton bowl champion.
- 2018 C-USA Football All-Conference Second Team.
What is your name?
- Malique Johnson.
Where do you play College Football?
What position do you play?
- Offensive Guard.
What is your height/weight?
- 6’2″ 320lbs.
Did you play any other sports growing up? If so, what were they?
- I wrestled in high school.
Who is the toughest player you have competed against in College?
- Taven Bryan from The University of Florida has to be one of the tough D-lineman I have faced in college.
Are you listening to music before a game? If so, what?
- I have three songs I must listen to before a game; Jay Rock-Win, Solo jae-Handle Dat and 147 cal boy-Envy me.
Do you have any superstitions before a game? If so, what are they?
- My only superstition is taking off my headphones before I enter the locker room for at least five mins.
Who is your role model & why?
- I big role model in my life has to be my high school wrestling coach Anthony Dedmond, because he believed I could amount to something and pushed me to levels I had never experienced before. He not only showed interest in my athletic ability he also was very interested in my academics. Which pushed me to be named Student athlete of the month for UAB.
You are a Communication Studies major. What made you pursue that subject?
- I picked communications because in high school I ran into the idea of always wanting to be a brand manager. So I had to stop being nervous about public speaking and sharpen up my communication skills to the high regards.
While in College, what has been your favorite & least favorite class?
- My favorite class was always a class that has to do with history whether it was U.S. history or African. I just really enjoy history overall.
- My least favorite class had to have been anatomy I just did not find it interesting.
What made you choose UAB?
- I picked UAB because when no other D1 would come and say they were all in on me UAB came and stuck with me. They also offered me a free red shirt year to get stronger and improve my GPA.
Outside of Football, what has been your favorite experience while in College?
- Being able to experience another city, me being from up north I got to experience the south for a change.
Growing up, who was your favorite NFL Team & NFL player, & why?
- My favorite NFL team was the Chicago Bears and my favorite player was Trai Turner. I always liked Chicago because my family is from Chicago and I was born in Chicago and Trai has always been my favorite for as long as I could remember.
If you could be in any movie of your choice, what would it be & what character would you play?
- Mad Max: Fury Road and probably Mad Max.
If you could have dinner with three people, dead or alive, who are they?
- Larry Allen.
- The Rock.
- LeBron James.
If you could meet any historical figure, who would you choose & why?
- Mansa Musa because I love history and I think he is one of the most interesting figures in history.
What is your definition of hard work?
- My definition of hard work is starting something and giving your all to it, no matter the outcome if at the end of the day you can look at yourself in the mirror with no shame and see you’ve gave everything you had.
What is the most unexpected lesson you learned while in College?
- How to be a productive member of society.
What is something you wish you could go back & tell yourself as a High School Freshman?
- Take your classes as serious as you take your sports.
Why do you wear #58?
- No big story my #54 wasn’t available so I grabbed 58.
What is the best part of your hometown, Freeport, IL?
- The Boys and Girls Club, it allows the kids to get away from the streets for a moment.
Who do you choose: Jordan, LeBron, Steph or Kobe? Why?
- LeBron, not only is he an amazing athlete, but because of the things he does for different communities and families.
Are you a PS4 or Xbox One guy? What games are you playing right now?
- I am a PS4 guy and I’m playing Red Dead Redemption 2.
What has been your most memorable moment as a student-athlete?
- The school recognizing my hard work in the classroom and on the field by naming me student athlete of the month.
If you could have three wishes granted, what would they be?
- A room full of skittles.
- A workout session with LeCharles Bentley.
- A shot in the NFL.
What is your hidden talent?
- I can draw.
If there is a book written about Malique Johnson, what is the title?
- “The Conquer Who Never Gave In.”
What are three things on your “Bucket List?”
- Travel to Jamaica.
- Own 100 acres.
- Retiring my mother.
Are you binge watching anything right now?
If you had one free hour each day, how would you choose to use it?
- Just relax with my dog.
If you could pancake block any NFL D-Lineman, past or present, who would it be & why?
- Aaron Donald just to shake things up a little.
What are three words to give NFL scouts that define Malique Johnson?
What is your inspiration?
- To take my family to a different level they have never been, physically, and financially.
What current/former NFL player do you compare yourself to?
- I compare myself to Shaq Mason or Trai Turner.