• Name: Jimmy Thomas
• Height: 6’2
• Weight: 245
• Position: DE / OLB
• College: John Carroll University
• Twitter: Jimmy_theman
Tell us about your hometown, and what you love most about it?
- I’m from Buffalo, New York. I love the football atmosphere around the Bills.
List these three in order of importance and why: Film Study, Strength and Conditioning and Practice?
- Film Study, Practice, Strength and Conditioning. Film shows you who your opponent is and how to learn and develop from mistakes. Practice is for reps, the more reps the more your craft is perfected. Strength and conditioning will enhance the way you practice.
What do you worry about, and why?
- Making my family proud and taking nothing for granted. I’ve been blessed with a loving family who will support me through thick and thin.
Give me an example of when you failed at something. How did you react and how did you overcome failure?
- One of my biggest failures was not receiving a division 1 football offer. I felt that I had earned it and when I didn’t receive it, I felt as a failure. I led the team in sacks, I led the team in yards gained as an offensive left tackle (despite it being my first time). I overcame this failure by understanding, a division one scholarship was only a part of my goal to reach my objective of the NFL. I was blessed to receive unusual recruiting from John Carroll. Without knowing much about JCU initially, I can undoubtedly say, deciding to attend JCU is the best decision I could have ever made. With JCU being a top ranked legit football school with legendary alumni such as Coach Don Shula and HOF London Fletcher, I knew if I just do what I do, I would be discovered. Not to mention the scout that recruited me so heavily for JCU, shortly after I accepted he departed for the NFL with the New England Patriots; whereas 6 other JCU alumni are employed.
What do your teammates say is your best quality?
- Work Ethic
Who is the best player you have ever played against in college?
- D’angelo Fulford because he was the only QB to escape one of my sacks this year
What would your career be if you couldn’t play football?
- Hopefully, we never find out.
Room, desk, and car – which do you clean first?
If there was a disaster and you could either save three strangers or one family member, which would you choose and why?
- I would choose family every time, because my family would deserve it and my family is worth saving above all others. This is ultimately my natural responsibility.
If you could be any television or movie character, who would you be and why?
- This question is difficult to answer because I don’t have the time to watch much television or movies, but if i had to choose it would be black panther. I lovewhat he represents and stands for in his community.
Tell me about your biggest adversity in life and how you’ve dealt with or overcome it?
- The biggest adversity I have had in my life was being denied the opportunity to play in our state championship game in HS. I was wrongfully accused throwing a punch in the semi-final game and was subsequently ineligible to participate in the championship game. So sadly I did not physically play a part in the first ever Catholic championship game in NYS. I decided to find another way to help my team in the championship game. I became our team’s waterboy and assistant trainer by helping to tape up the other guys. It was a great feeling especially since we won.
What is your most embarrassing moment?
- Freshman Year, I missed a 6am film meeting. I was taken off of everything for that week. Never missed a meeting again.
What was the most memorable play of your collegiate career?
- My most memorable sophomore year we were down by 10 with 3 mins to play. We had the opposing team on there 5 yard line. I came in on third down. The opposite DE stripped the qb and I recovered the the fumble scoring a touchdown against our cross town rivals. Eventually winning the game.
What song best describes your work ethic?
- G Herbo – Focused
What is the most important trait you can have (Physical or Non-Physical) to help you succeed at the next level?
- My Mind, I have the physical gift to do anything I put my mind to; plus, I have the mental capacity to understand I can do all things thru Christ. Moreover, my ability to learn on the fly is one best attributes.
If you could bring one person back from the dead for one day, who would it be and why?
- My Grandfather, he never seen me play football before because he lived Florida. He died the day he returned to Florida after driving all the way to New York to watch me graduate high school.
If you were to open a dance club, what would you name it?
Who is the most overrated player in the NFL?
- In reality there is no such thing, because any player fortunate to make it into the NFL, deserves it.
Would you rather be liked or respected, and why?
- respected , no one is perfect and everyone has their own opinion. I cannot control what people like nor can I please everyone in life.
What player who had his career derailed by off-field issues do you feel for the most and why?
- Josh Gordon, addiction is a serious thing no matter how small or big. For him to choose a drug over the sport he loves and people will die for to play just shows how serious it is.
Do you love to win, or hate to lose?
- Hate to lose
Who has been the biggest influence on your life and explain why?
- My Mother, she has been the definition of grinding and making a way ever since i came into this world.